List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION

List entry Number: 1229986

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityUpton-by-Chester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 404827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NW UPTON-BY-CHESTER C.P. CHURCH LANE (East Side)

5/39 Church of the Holy Ascension. 1/6/1967

- II

Church: 1852-4 by James Harrison, transepts of 1958 and 1967 by A C Bennett (Pevsner and Hubbard). Red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Red tile roof. 5-bay nave, 2-bay chancels hidden by transepts, 3-stage towers and spire and south porch. Coped gabled porch has hood mould over the entrance. Nave windows of 2-lights with quatrefoil tracery. Tall coped transepts have pairs of 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. 3-light east window with quatrefoils. Tower has a plinth, diagonal buttresses, bands at each floor and a solid parapet. 2-light windows, louvred in top stage. Stone spire with 2 bands and simple slight lucarnes. Interior: Nave has arch-braced roof trusses sprung from carved head corbels. Chamfered 4-centred chancel arch and chancel with wagon roof. Pair of depressed 4-centred arches to added transepts. Stained glass by Kempe 1870-1880. Iron plaque inside porch records grant of seats by the Incorporated Society for Promoting the Enlargement, Building and Repairing of Churches and Chapels in England and Wales.

Listing NGR: SJ4080869110

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 40808 69110

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 10:32:00.