List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1229819

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityPenton Grafton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Apr-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140569

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 34 NW PENTON GRAFTON WEYHILL

4/18 Church of St Michael and All Angels 20.12.60 (formerly listed as St Michael) II*

Parish church. An ancient site close to the Roman road, and a possible Christian successor to a heathen temple; a Saxon church stood here but the earliest part is the Norman chancel arch; C13 chancel (restored), North transept of 1827, nave restoration and 3-bay south aisle of 1863, C19 porch and vestry, and bell turret of 1907. Steep tile roof over most of the building, but a low-pitched slate roof above nave and north transept, shingled spire to timber-framed bell turret, with gables to the lower tile-hung framing. Walls of flint with stone dressings, rendered to the north transept, the nave and the south aisle (or nearly equal width and height) having decorative brick treatment at verges, relieving arches, and as horizontal bands. Windows are small or tall lancets in nave and aisle, with one coupled light in the nave and triple lancets at the east end. Inside, the appearance and fittings are Victorian, with several small wall monuments of the early C19: the arcade rests on thin cylindrical columns, merging to wide square cushion caps. The nave roof (1506) has moulded tie-beams with king-posts and Queen Struts. Plain stone font; and 3 benefaction boards displayed above the south door in the porch. The architectural features repeat those at Haverden and Smannell, both designed by William White (but Pevsner says Hakewill).

Listing NGR: SU3195047926

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967

National Grid Reference: SU 31762 46642

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 01:21:32.