List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1229677

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWinwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 404470

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINWICK SP67SW 10/187 Church of St. Michael 18/01/68

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14, Chancel by E.F. Low c.1853. Squared coursed and regular coursed lias with lead and plain tile roof. Cruciform plan with west tower. Chancel: South elevation of 3-window range of lancets, north elevation similar of 2-window range with projecting lean-to vestry. Triple lancet with quatrefoil above east window. Steeply pitched roof with ashlar gable parapet. South transept of 2-window range of lancets to east and west and 2-light window to south. Shallow-pitch roof with ashlar parapets. North transept similar. Nave: South elevation of 3-window range of 2-light clerestory window and one 2-light window at lower level. South porch, probably C19, has gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. North elevation similar with two 2-light windows at lower level. Shallow-pitched nave roof with ashlar parapets. Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages with 3-light west window in lowest stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings with castellated parapet above. Interior: Double chamfered chancel and transept arches with octagonal responds. Triple-chamfered tower arch with octagonal respond. C19 coloured floor tiles to chancel. C19 roof structures in nave and chancel, that in nave has carved bosses with angels. C14 roof trusses in transepts. Monuments: North transept, Sir William Craven died 1707; large marble tablet flanked by columns supporting entablature with putti above; central armorial device with urn above. To left similar tablet to Maria Craven by Samuel Huskisson 1736 has attached columns with open pediment above. Central winged cherub with armorial device above. Black leger stones, also to Sir William Craven, at chapel steps are by Edward Stanton. C13 tomb recess also in south transept. Various C19 marble tablets in the nave. Barrel organ in south transept probably C19 by William Prowse. Font by Rickman 1821, octagonal bowl on panelled stern with angel heads under bowl. C19 stained glass to east window, north-east and south-east nave windows and north transept east windows. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p,463),

Listing NGR: SP6256973864

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 463

National Grid Reference: SP 62569 73864

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:20:50.