List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1229537

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityHunstanworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 404175

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUNSTANWORTH HUNSTANWORTH NY 94 NW 4/58 (inset) Church of St. James 31.1.67 GV II*

Parish church; 1862-3 rebuilding, by S.S. Teulon for Rev. Daniel Capper of Newbiggin, of 1781 church on medieval site. Snecked sandstone of varied colours and pale ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; diaper-patterned roof of purple and green slates with roll-moulded ridge-tiles and stone gable copings. Nave with north aisle, north-west tower and stair turret and south porch; apsed chancel with north vestry. 6-bay nave has porch in first bay; buttressed fifth bay projects slightly; buttressed narrow sixth bay. Lower chancel with 5 windows.

Steeply-gabled porch has double boarded doors in double-chamfered 2-centred arch; side buttresses and curved kneelers under gable with stone cross finial. 3 small lancets in return walls of porch. Plate tracery in 4-light nave and 3-light aisle west windows; and in other windows, of 2 lights except for group of 3 in fifth and 2 in sixth nave bays, the fifth with central gabled canopy. Roundels in west bays of chancel. Tower has one high stage, with 3-light north window, and lancet slits in second stage, under string and 3 cusped belfry openings. Round stair turret with conical roof, on north-east corner. Pyramidal tower roof with peacock wind-vane; steeply-pitched nave roof with finials, and angelus cross; slightly lower chancel roof rounded over apse. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Arch-braced collar-truss nave roof, with upper king posts, struts and 2 levels of purlins with wind braces. Closely-set scissor trusses in chancel. 3-bay north arcade, tower, chancel and sanctuary arches all 2-centred and chamfered; round piers. Chancel has north arcaded frieze; south arched recess for priest's chair. Stone pulpit and side steps under paired arches, in rudimentary transept. Round stone pedestal font on octagonal plinth continuous with west shaft of arcade. Glass mostly original clear and coloured geometrical; 2 windows commemorating Edward and John Joicey, died 1879 and 1881, by Kempe; chancel windows have geometrical patterns with pictorial panels. Gothic painted-and-carved chamber organ by Gray and Davison, Euston Road, London, said to have been shown in 1851. Exhibition at Crystal Palace. Other original fittings include doors with high- quality iron work, wood altar (now brought forward) and communion rail.

Carved alabaster panel on west wall in low relief 'We thank thee/LORD/for bringing back/our soldiers/safely home/1914-1918.

Listing NGR: NY9490649021

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 94906 49021

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 12:08:30.