List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1229368

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityGuilden Sutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 404196

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NW GUILDEN SUTTON C.P. CHURCH LANE (West Side)

5/10 Church of St John the Baptist.

1/6/1967

GV II

Church: 1815 (Pevsner and Hubbard), but nave has C16 work. English garden wall bond orange brick with lines of vertical timbers and wall plate visible in nave. Welsh slate roof. 5-bay nave and chancel in one range, south porch and octagonal louvred bellcote. Dentil brick cornice. Windows of nave and chancel are simple and have semi-circular brick heads. Gabled porch has a pair of half-glazed doors. East window, lancet shaped with 2 wooden mullions. Interior: Very plain with raised chancel and wooden chancel screen. Partly exposed kingpost trusses with diagonal braces, all heavily cusped. Circular stone front dated 1635 and doorway with twisted balusters dated 1698. Painted memorial plaque to Whitehead family, probably by Randle Holme III.

The former chancel blew down in 1802 and it is reported that Sir J T Stanley of Alderley rebuilt the church by 1810 when he sold the living. Ormerod G, History of Cheshire, 1819.

Listing NGR: SJ4489068181

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ormerod, G, History of Cheshire, (1819)
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 44890 68181

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 12:20:45.