List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1229297

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityBrereton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56336

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRERETON C.P. BRERETON GREEN SJ 76 SE 7/6 Church of St. Oswald 14/2/1967

GV II*

Church, cira. 1500, restored 1903, of red sandstone. Nave, aisles, embraced west tower, south porch, chancel. 3-stage west tower has replaced door, 4-light panel-traceried west window, small rectangular opening to ringers' chamber, 2-light bell-opening in each face, crenellation and 4 pinnacles; square buttresses on west corners; one to north and south at east corners. Nave and chancel have basket-arched windows; 6 of 2 lights to each side of clerestorey, and 3 of 3 lights to each aisle, 1 of 3 lights to each side of chancel and 5-light east window; plain parapets to nave and aisles, crenellated chancel. Interior: Nave of 4 bays plus tower bay, simple arcades. Camber-beam panelled nave roof; a deep panelled truss between nave and chancel; 3 cambered beams in chancel. Tablet to William Brereton on north wall of chancel. Octagonal font 1660. Glass of east window mid C19 and west window 1853 by Wailes. Monument to William and Frances Smethwicke, with 1/2 length figures, died 1643. An unusually complete late Perpendicular church.

Listing NGR: SJ7814664787

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 78146 64787

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 04:23:31.