List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1229012

Location

CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH, DAWSON STREET
CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH, EMMERSON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403773

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROOK AND WILLINGTON EMMERSON STREET NZ 13 NE (South side) 24/24 Central Methodist Church II*

Primitive Methodist Chapel, named and dated 1868 in pediment. Sandstone ashlar with pink granite columns flanking door; Welsh slate roof. Pedimented front of 2 storeys and 3 bays has moulded plinth; chamfered rusticated ground floor. 8 steps, the top one renewed, to central 4-leaf 8-panelled door and lunette in round-headed moulded keyed surround, recessed between attached columns with stone Corinthian capitals. Keyed, moulded round-headed surrounds to flanking aproned windows recessed in square panels. Double cyma recta ground-floor cornice, breaking forward over door, supports balustrades of first-floor windows, the central paired, which have low segmental heads and cord-moulded surrounds under bracketed drip-moulds with carved central finials. Deeply-moulded pediment on richly-carved cornice has sunken centre containing oval date-panel with cord-moulded frame and lily finial. Roof has 2 ogee-stopped ridge ventilators. Dwarf walls flanking steps have chamfered coping; wrought-iron handrails have down-curved ends. Interior: painted plaster above boarded dado; slender cast-iron columns with crocket capitals, support continuous gallery on 3 sides, with cast-iron bombe balustrade which has ivy-leaf decoration in 4 petals on circle motif; similar more slender posts in gallery. Large panelled pulpit with side steps in front of organ which is set in moulded arch on Corinthian pilasters. Flanking panelled wood screens to minister's and choir's vestries. Iron balustrades on rear gallery stairs in entrance foyer with tiled floor. Ceiling with moulded decoration is deeply coved along the long axis; 3 ceiling roses contain pierced cones which formerly held light fittings suspended by ratchet control. Glass in simple floral patterns c.1925, as memorials to members of the congregation, and west window as First World War memorial.

Listing NGR: NZ1661535502

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 16615 35502

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:31:02.