List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TODMORDEN TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1228980

Location

TODMORDEN TOWN HALL, HALIFAX ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan AuthorityTodmorden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403712

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9324 TODMORDEN (former M.B.) HALIFAX ROAD (north side)

6/131 Todmorden Town Hall (formerly listed as Town Hall) 22.11.66

G.V. I

Town Hall. Opened 3rd April, 1875 by the Postmaster General, Lord John Manners. By John Gibson for Samuel, John and Joshua Fielden. Sandstone ashlar, lead roof. Classical. In form an apsidal temple raised on a high basement. The basement has banded rustication and the upper walls are also slightly Channelled. Plinth, stylobat and ¾ unfluted Composite columns supporting elaborate entablature which has a fretted pulvinated frieze enriched by rosettes. The front is of 3 bays, and the return wall of 7. Terminated in each case by clasping pilasters. The apse is stepped in slightly and is similarly treated, except that the columns are detached and have cabled surface. The tall 1st floor has, at the front, round headed windows and richly carved surround, and at the sides similar straight headed windows, all surmounted by circular windows. Set within the tympanum of the deeply moulded triangular pediment impressive statuary. 2 central female figures linked in friendship are seated on a pedestal inscribed 'LANCASHIRE/YORKSHIRE'. To either side groups depicting the Lancashire cotton industry and the engineering and agriculture of Yorkshire. Interior: Semi-circular entrance hall with Tuscan columns and pilasters. Set between is marble bust of John Fielden M.P. (1784-1849) by Thomas Campbell, 1850. 2 other balancing sculptures, one of Ruth another of Flight of Pompey. both by G. D. Benzoni, (Rome, 1878). These are set at the foot of Imperial staircase with elaborate cast-iron balustrade, the open-string risers covered by linking figures. At head of stair, painting of Thomas Fielden. Memorial tablet to Sir John Cockcroft (1897-1967), Nobel Prize winner. Large 1st floor hall with modillion cornice. Coved fretted cornice with medallions. Ceiling divided into 3 panels with large circular sun motif with pendant bosses. 3 large medallions set to rear of stage. Under hall are court chambers with oak- panelled horse-shoe inner chamber and dais with canopied chair. The foundations of an earlier hall by Mr. Green were laid in the early 1860's. In 1866 the Fieldens purchased the partial constructed hall. Constrained by the site Gibson produced a building of concentrated richness and great assurance unusual in this style at that period. One of the finest town halls in West Yorkshire. Illustrated in D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (London, 1978), p.353. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London, 1979), p.522.

Listing NGR: SD9366524167

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Linstrum, D - Title: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture - Date: 1978 - Page References: 353
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding - Date: 1967 - Page References: 522

National Grid Reference: SD 93665 24167

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 10:20:12.