List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLLY BANK, FORMERLY THE DOCTOR'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1228744

Location

HOLLY BANK, FORMERLY THE DOCTOR'S HOUSE, BARTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityFarndon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 SW FARNDON C.P. BARTON ROAD south Side

2/24 Holly Bank, formerly The Doctor's House.

1/3/67

- II*

House, late C17 altered probably mainly mid C18, but by degrees. Stone-dressed brown brick with grey slate roofs. The entrance front (C18) of 3 storeys and 3 windows is symmetrical in form but with varied detailing: slightly projecting stone bands 1st and 2nd floors; rusticated stone quoins; cyma stone cornice, probably with upper parapet removed. Stone plinth with moulded cap has 2 former window openings to cellar left of probably late C19 gabled brick porch. Lower 2 storeys are of irregular bond; upper storey is in imperfect Flemish bond. Window to each side of porch is of 3 flush sashes: 4-pane: 12-pane: 4-pane, with stone cills; left window has gauged brick flat arch, right window a rougher camber arch. 2nd storey has 12-pane flush sashes; that at centre under repaired gauged brick flat arch, those to sides under camber arches. 3rd storey has low 6-pane flush sashes under camber arches, the central opening blocked. Stone cills. The right corner of probably C17 roof shows, offset, behind the facade. Rear elevation (rendered) has band and 2 gables with kneelers. Interior: 2 and 3 panel oak doors. Cellar has stone and bedrock walls, and a reused slotted chamfered beam. Front parlour, left has altered inglenook and roughly chamfered oak main beam; rear left room has stop-chamfered beam system and oak panelling inscribed John Leech 1729, RMRB Esq 1741, IW 1756 (repositioned), RB Esq 1724, TH 1771 (repositioned), WBAP 174; diagonal fireplace with hollow corbel for hearth above. Rear right room has roughly chamfered beams. Kitchen (rear wing, right) has ceiling frame with 2 roughly chamfered beams and 1 C17 moulded beam with housings or open mortices on rear side. Moulded oak bressumer across corner of outhouse behind kitchen, C17 or earlier. Stair of 6 flights and 2 landings has dropped square newels and 2 barleysugar balusters per step. Bar-stopped chamfered oak beam in front bedroom, left. Oak purlins.

Listing NGR: SJ4147454423

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41474 54423

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 07:01:42.