List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1228671

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, THORPE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthorityWardington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403280

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARDINGTON THORPE ROAD SP4846 (West side) 15/182 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 08/12/55

GV I

Church. C12 origins in chancel which is otherwise C14. C13 nave arcades. Late C13 north and south aisles and south doorway and sanctus bellcote. C14 vestry. C15 west tower and clerestory. Restorations in 1887, 1889, (by Ewan Christian, architect) and 1914-2. (Franklins of Deddington builders and W.T. Loveday architect). Squared, coursed ironstone. Lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, south chapel, north vestry. 7-window range. Chancel. 2-light Perpendicular windows on north. 4-light window with intersecting tracery on east has renewed stone mullions. 2-light Early English windows on south with pointed arched hood moulds and head stops. South aisle windows to right of porch include a stepped triple lancet, 3-light Perpendicular and Decorated windows and a trefoiled lancet. Priest's doorway has cambered arched head, hood mould and plank door. To left of porch a renewed 3-light lancet window. Gabled stone porch. South doorway has pointed arched head and plank door. North aisle has a pointed arched doorway with plank door. Two 2-light lancet windows and a Decorated window with flowing and reticulated tracery. North and south clerestoreys have three 2-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds and label stops. C15 vestry on north. Single stack. West tower. 3 stages with a crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses. West entrance has a pointed arched doorway with plank door. 3-light Perpendicular window to first stage. 3 blocked lancets above and 2-light louvred Perpendicular window to bell-stage. Stone plinth. Interior. Nave and chancel have restored arched tie beam roofs. North and south aisles have renewed roofs. Chancel. Decorated piscina. Pointed arched head to C14 vestry doorway has plank door and strap hinges. Chancel arch is decorated with responds with wave moulding. Impost of C12 chancel arch reset behind pulpit. 5-bay north and south nave arcades. Responds of the east arch of the north arcade C12 with large grooved imposts. C13 double chamfered arches and round piers with square bases. The 2 west piers on the south of quatrefoil section are probably C14. South chapel. Screened from the aisle and open to the chancel through a wide C14 arch with half-octagonal responds. A Decorated and a Perpendicular piscina. Screen in the south aisle partly C14, the base and cresting renewed. Screen between chancel and south chapel incorporates C14 tracery. Monuments. In the south aisle 2 arched C14 tomb recesses, and a C14 slab with a foliated cross. Floor brass to Henry Freebody d.1444. South chapel monument to George Denton d.1757 and 4 floor slabs to members of the Chamberlaine family and memorials to the Wardle, Loveday and Wallace families. The chancel has a marble wall tablet to Edmund French d.1776, and glass commemorating the Chamberlain family. Font, octagonal and dated 1666. Renewed C19 font cover, Hatchment in south aisle. (Buildings of England: 0xfordshire 1974, pp822-3; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol X, pp222-3)

Listing NGR: SP4911146334

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 822-3
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 222-3

National Grid Reference: SP 49112 46334

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:26:38.