List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1228655

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWelford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403313

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELFORD CHURCH LANE SP68SW (North side) 3/l19 Church of St. Mary 02/11/54

GV II*

Church. C13 to C15, and restored and north aisle rebuilt by E.F. Law 1872. Regular coursed and squared coursed lias, limestone and cobble with lead-slate and stone-slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel with west tower. Chancel: South elevation of one-window range with 3-light window under 4-centred arch, north elevation blank. 3-light east window with C19 Reticulated tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South chantry chapel, late C14, of 2-window range of 3-light windows with 4-centred arches; similar east window. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets, gargoyles at corners and bellcote at west apex. South aisle of 4-window range of 2-light windows, that to far left is C14, the others are C19. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. South porch C19, outer arch decorated with fleurons. Clasping buttresses and ashlar gable parapet with finial. North chapel C19 of 3-window range of 2-light windows with buttresses between; similar 3-light east window. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed windows, probably C14 reset in C19. North door between window range to right. Lean-to aisle and chapel, with ashlar copings. Nave clerestory south elevation of 4-window range of 2-light windows under 4-centred arches. North elevation of 5-window range of 2-light windows with square heads. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. West tower Perpendicular of 4 stages with shallow clasping buttresses. West door has 3 windows above. Tall 4-light bell-chamber openings with transoms to each face of fourth stage. Castellated ashlar parapet with gargoyles at corners. Interior: Perpendicular chancel arch. 2-bay south chapel arcade and one-bay north chapel arcade of C13 double-chamfered arches with large carved corbelled responds. 5-bay nave arcade, that to the south is C13 with double-chamfered arches; each pier is different with crocketted capitals, from left to right: circular, octagonal, cluster and circular. The north arcade is C19 with different piers each having foliated capitals. Piscina with ogee head to right of altar with sedilia adjacent. Piscina in south aisle. C19 roof structures. Monuments: South chapel, monument to Francis Saunders c.1585, marble tablet with incised brass tablet and veined marble surround with shallow arched recesses, coats of arms and large armorial device over, flanked by recumbent female figures. North aisle, chest tomb C13, decorated with shields and quatrefdils with plain slab over, set in shallow recess with segmental arch over, (probably all reset when the aisle was rebuilt in C19). On chancel north wall a late C18 marble tablet to Payne family. Various C19 marble tablets. Fragments of bench end with poppy head formed into reading desk is probably C16. C17 Jacobean screen to north and south aisle chapels and west tower arch. C19 stained glass to all windows in chancel, aisles and tower. Font C14. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.450).

Listing NGR: SP6412380336

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 450

National Grid Reference: SP 64123 80336

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 01:33:53.