List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1228363

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityHartford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402983

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTFORD C.P. CHESTER ROAD SJ 67 SW (South side) 4/36 Church of St.John - - II

Church: dated 1875, and tower added 1887-9, both by John Douglas. Dressed coursed buff sandstone with red sandstone dressings. Red tile roof. 5-bay nave and aisles. 2-bay chancel with vestry to the south and chapel to north, south and north porches and 4-stage west tower. Timber-framed south porch on stone base has panelled bargeboards, toothed tiebeam and chevron work in the gable. Bays of the aisle are divided by buttresses and have pairs of double or triple, trefoil or cinquefoil headed lancets. Clerestorey has 9 lancet windows regularly placed under a continuous label mould. Similar windows and Caernarvon arched doorways to vestry. East end has a giant arch on raking pilasters which contains a triple lancet with minimal tracery, the lights divided by chamfered pilasters with stopped heads. North side is identical to the south. The tower has heavy clasping pilasters, one of which contains a stair turret and rises above the top of the tower. 3-light west window with sexfoil panel. 2nd stage has some partially blind arcading, a clock in the 3rd and a pair of trefoil headed louvred bell openings in the top stages. These have triangular hoods with ball flower finials. Embattled parapet on corbels. Interior:- of rubble stone with ashlar dressings. 5-bay arcade of chamfered arches on alternate circular and octagonal piers. The pairs of aisle windows have splayed reveals and pointed heads and a colonnette between the pair. Splayed reveals to clerestorey windows. Wagon roof to nave. Simple tower arch carried on corbels has a wooden Gothic screen with drop tracery. Double chancel arch on short colonnettes. Chancel has a pair of unequal arches on an octagonal pier to the north chapel and a more unequal pair on the south side contains the organ and access to the vestry. Plaster and wooden reredos of the Last Supper, in a Gothic gilded setting. Panelled roof to the chancel.

Listing NGR: SJ6378872224

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 63788 72224

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 12:12:30.