List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DAVID

List entry Number: 1228229

Location

CHURCH OF ST DAVID, COPPERAS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan AuthorityHaigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402586

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAIGH COPPERAS LANE SD 60 NW (south side) 6/49 Church of 22.2.67 St. David G.V. II Church. 1830-3, with chancel of 1886 by J. Medland Taylor. Stone with slate roof and tile crest. Nave with west porch and north projection; chancel with south organ loft. 9-bay nave has corbel table, lancets with hoods between thin weathered buttresses. Western bay to north has pointed entrance with blind lancet over, blind lancet to corresponding south bay and ornamental iron railings to basement. Gabled porch has triplet of lancets and north and south entrances; projection above supports gabled bell cote. Flanking lancets, that to south over later cusped lights. North projection is later, lean-to roof, east quinquefoil and west entrance; north straight-headed window with 2 cusped lights. 2-bay chancel has buttress to north with hipped gable and half-hexagonal upper part; to east, a lancet, to west, paired lancets under hood. East end has 3- light plate tracery window on cusped sill course; gable projection with cross. North lateral stack with clustered octagonal shafts. Gabled organ loft has entrance to west, lancet to south, and projection under cat-slide roof and 3- light single-chamfered-mullioned window to east. Interior: Flat panelled ceiling. Windows have round and octagonal shafts. Corbelled chancel arch and arch to vestry with timber screen. West gallery on 3 segmental arches. Central Warden's pew has timber vaulted canopy and cresting. Baptistry to left is war memorial. Ceiling has ribs and bosses, wainscotting with pierced tracery.

Listing NGR: SD6062408972

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 60624 08972

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 06:08:41.