List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OAK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1228226

Location

OAK HOUSE, OAK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SandwellMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219328

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDWELL MB OAK ROAD, West Bromwich SO 99 SE 4/116 Oak House 25.2.49 II*

House, now museum. Late C16, with west wing said to be added c1600 (VCH), porch and prospect tower early C17, brick additions at rear c1635. Restored and opened as museum 1898. Timber-framed with brick additions and tile roof. Two storeys with attic. Jettied at front (north) and on west side. Framing exposed and has close-studding with middle rail, and some straight braces. Facade has three jettied gables, the right-hand one said to be later but in a similar style. Below each gable, on both floors, there is a restored oriel window. Adjoining each of these windows there are mullioned windows of two, three and four lights. Between the second and third gables there is a two- storeyed jettied and gabled porch, which has ogee bracing on the first floor and a moulded outer doorway. Rising above the ridge of the roof, in line with the porch, is the prospect tower, which has decorative framing, two small gables facing north, and an oriel window. Chimneys to left of prospect tower, on ridge of right-hand wing and on left-hand return wall, the latter with pro- jecting stack. The right-hand return wall has two oriel windows on each floor, those on the first floor under dormer gables. The south wall of the west wing is of brick, as is the central part of the rear wall, which has twin shaped gables and restored sandstone mullioned windows. Interior has exposed deeply- chamfered main ceiling joists. Part of the ceiling of the entrance hall was removed during the C19 alterations to create a light well, the floor of the prospect tower being removed so that it could act as a lantern. Many of the rooms have C17 panelling, restored and added to in the C19. The Morning Room at the rear on the ground floor and the main bedroom on the first floor have particularly fine carved panels. The C17 open-well stair has elaborate fret- work balusters. Ground plan and description in VCH Staffordshire, Vol VII, p 25, 26.

Listing NGR: SO9980590851

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1976), 25 26

National Grid Reference: SO 99805 90851

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 02:28:30.