List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1228032

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityCossington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402434

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COSSINGTON

SK 61 SW MAIN STREET (West Side) 7/9 1.6.66 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Church. C13-C15 and C19. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings and Swithland slate roof to chancel and S porch, the rest leaded and parapetted roofs. Stone coped gables. West tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of C13 of 3 stages with small blocked W door, W lancet with C19 stained glass, N and S lancets, 4 bell openings with hood moulds, head frieze and battlements. Triple-chamfered nave arch. C13 4 bay N arcade with double-chamfered arches on circular piers. Early C14 4 bay S arcade with double sunk quadrant-moulded arches on quatrefoil piers. Perp clerestory with 4 3-light windows either side and C19 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. N aisle with buttresses with set-offs and part battlemented parapet. NW window with Y tracery, blocked N door, 2 N windows with C19 stained glass, and NE window with Y tracery and C19 stained glass. By chancel arch part of spiral stairway to former rood, and a squint to both aisles. Early C14 chancel. Windows with Reticulated tracery those to W on both sides originally 'low-side', that to S now with lower section blocked. E window with Intersected tracery and stained glass c1918 by Strachan. Fine sedilia with ogee arches and piscina, and on N wall a C14 tomb-recess, with ogee arch over the alabaster tomb chest of Dr. Matthew Knightley, a former Rector, of 1556. Incised top and carved sides. Chancel S door. S windows have C19 stained glass. Cl9 boarded wagon roof. S aisle has buttresses and part battlemented parapet. SE window has Geometric tracery and stained glass of 1862. 2 S windows with Y tracery and SW window with restored Y tracery. Early C14 S doorway and C19 S porch. Round font, possibly C13/C14, with C17 restored cover. Restored Perp screen and pulpit. Choirs stall ends probably of same date, partly restored. Some benches with linenfold panelling c1500. In N aisle under E window tomb with recumbent effigy of priest, c1320. In chancel alabaster wall monument to Rev. William Stavely, a former Rector, of 1652. Further early C19 wall monuments, a rectangular painting of the Royal Arms of Georgian period and c1700 painting of the Creed, Commandments and Lord's Prayer with portraits of Moses and Aaron. Carved frame. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6036413664

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 60364 13664

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 10:40:38.