List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List entry Number: 1227982

Location

CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityRavensthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAVENSTHORPE CHURCH HILL SP67SE (East side) 11/46 Church of St. Denys 02/11/54

GV II*

Also known as Church of St. Dionysius. Church. C13 and C19. Squared coursed and regular coursed lias with lead and plain-tile roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel: C19, south elevation of 2-window range of traceried lancet windows. South door between. North elevation, similar, of one-window range. 3-light east window has roundel with cusping. Gabled roof with ashlar cornice, gable parapets and finial. South aisle of 2-window range of 3-light windows; that to left has a square head and that to right has Perpendicular style tracery. Similar 3-light east window. All have some C19 and C20 tracery. 2-light west window with ogee head. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. South porch, to left, is C19 with double-chamfered outer door opening and Decorated inner door openings. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle of 2-window range of 3-light windows under segmental arches; similar east window and 2-light west window. North door to far right also under segmental arch. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. The north aisle projects half a bay alongside the chancel. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light windows; that to south has segmental arches and 2 to north have square heads with arched lights. West tower, C13 restored c.1810, of 4 stages with angle buttresses at the west corners. 2-light west window at ground level. Double lancet bell-chamber openings with attached shafts in upper stage. The upper stage is subdivided by a string course at the springing of the window openings. Castellated parapet probably C14. Tablet reset in north wall of chancel commemorates John Adams died 1698 and his wife died 1737, and has cherub at head. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade, C13, of 3-bays of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Triple-chamfered tower arch. Tomb recess in south aisle. Jacobean pulpit. Parts of the screen are Perpendicular. Parish chest has iron banding. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p,384).

Listing NGR: SP6700070346

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 384

National Grid Reference: SP 67000 70346

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 06:41:28.