List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1227927

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityUlceby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165894

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 11 SW ULCEBY CHURCH LANE (west side)

13/93 Church of Saint Nicholas 6.11.67

GV I

Parish church. C13 - C14 tower with C15 parapet and spire, C13 chancel with C14 - C15 windows, C14 nave arcades and aisles. Restorations of 1852 by Keyworth of Hull, north porch rebuilt 1856, south porch rebuilt 1876, restorations of 1878-9 to south aisle and tower openings, chancel restored 1887, top section of spire rebuilt 1928-9 and repaired 1982. Weathered ironstone ashlar tower with limestone ashlar parapet and spire; squared ironstone and chalk, chalk rubble and brick with limestone ashlar dressings to nave, chancel and aisles; squared ironstone to south porch, squared limestone to north porch, both with ashlar dressings. Lead roof to south aisle; slate roofs to remainder. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay south aisle with south porch, 4-bay north aisle to nave and chancel with north porch, 3- bay chancel. 2-stage tower: moulded plinth, full-height angle buttresses with set-offs. Tall first stage: pointed 3-light west window with hoodmould and C19 restored Perpendicular tracery, small niche above; slit windows to north and south, weathered string course. Top stage: pointed 2-light belfry openings with C19 Perpendicular tracery. Carved corbel table, prominent gargoyles at angles, embattled parapet and ribbed octagonal spire with finial and weathervane. Aisles: chamfered plinths, quoins and cillbands. North aisle: square-headed 3-light windows with hoodmoulds and partly-restored tracery; pointed 3-light east and west windows with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds. South aisle: buttresses between bays and at angles; pointed 3-light windows to south and east with restored reticulated tracery, hoodmoulds and headstops; pointed 4-light east window with fine curvilinear tracery, hoodmould and headstops. Nave: 3 square- headed 2-light trefoiled clerestory windows with hoodmoulds; coped gable with stump of finial; brick and rubble infill in east gable shows line of former chancel roof. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses; south side has pointed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery, small square-headed 2-light trefoiled window; similar 2-light north window; pointed 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. South porch: buttresses, ogee-headed outer arch; pointed moulded inner arch with hoodmould and restored headstops. North porch: chamfered plinth, buttresses, pointed double-chamfered outer arch, stone benches inside, pointed moulded inner arch, door with ornate C18 - C19 wrought-iron hinges. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals, chamfered bases and square plinths. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch with chamfered jambs; pointed door and line of former nave roof above. Trefoiled piscina to south aisle. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on keeled responds, perhaps re-set, with plain moulded capitals. Very wide chamfered segmental arch to north chancel arcade, probably C17 - C18. Chancel has trefoiled piscina to south; pointed aumbry and pointed recess to north . C19 restored roof to north aisle, others C19. Section of former C15 chancel rood screen re-set at east end of north aisle: single panels flanking central door, pointed arches with panels below, ornate Perpendicular tracery and fretwork frieze; C19 panels above. 1852 pews incorporate C14 - C15 carved bench ends. C13 bowl font on cylindrical shaft and stepped plinth. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 409; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA1034114607

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 409

National Grid Reference: TA 10340 14606

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 01:00:53.