List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1227892

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GUILDFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289900

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 14 NW GUILDFORD ROAD WESTCOTT 850/6/225 Church of the Holy Trinity 11.06.73 II*

Church. 1851-2 by Sir George Gilbert Scott; vestry added late-C19/early C20. Coursed knapped flint with ashlar quoins and dressings. Plain tile roofs, mostly replaced with concrete tiles; decorative ridge tiles to vestry. 5-bay nave with north porch, west spire, and separately-roofed 3-bay south aisle with side chapel; lower 2-bay chancel with north transept; separately-roofed 2-bay vestry parallel with side chapel. In C14 Gothic style having chamfered ashlar plinth; ashlar butresses with offsets; pointed-arched doors and windows of 1,2 or 3 lights with cusped tracery; hoodmoulds with carved stops; raised verges, with gableted- and cross-finials. Nave: north side: porch on right has entrance of 2 chamfered orders, carved gableted kneelers and internal wooden double-door with decorative iron hinges. Spire, rising from west end, has clock face dated 1887 on north side, at base, and timber bell stage with open cusped panels; broached swept spire with weather-cock. Chancel: transept has 3-light plate-tracery window, and octagonal gable chimney; east window of 3 lights with cinquefoil over. Vestry has tall lateral chimney with coupled octagonal shafts. Interior: aisle arcade of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal columns. Chancel arch with ball-flowers carried on decorated corbels. Waggon roof to nave and aisle, the former having corbelled cusped braces. Cusped tracery to spire frame. Pointed-arched vault to chancel. Red and black floor tiles. Tessellated reredos set in polished marble with flanking arcades. Carved octagonal ashlar font. Ashlar relief carving of St George commemorates 2nd Lieut Boyd Burnet Geake d1916. Marble 1st World War memorial in rococo style. East window by James Powell & Son (whitefriars) Ltd.

Listing NGR: TQ1395048420

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 13950 48420

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 04:54:05.