List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1227881

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWhittlesey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402370

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2696 WHITTLESEY CHURCH STREET (West Side)

21/70 Church of St. Andrew 11.8.50

GV II*

Parish Church. Mainly C14, but with part of south aisle C13. C15 nave arcade, clerestorey, West Tower and South porch. Restored 1872. Rubblestone and Barnack ashlar and dressings. Leaded roofs of low pitch, with slates to North and South Chapel roofs. Plan of West tower, nave, North and South aisles, and chancel flanked by North and South Chapels. West tower, late C15, of four stages with embattled parapet on two-stage splayed plinth. Crocketed pinnacles at corners and main cornice with gargoyles. Clasping four-stage buttresses and newel staircase in South West corner. West doorway has four-centred archway in square head with foliate decoration to the spandrels. Restored three-light West window. Two cinquefoil openings to each side of bell chamber. Nave has C15 clerestorey with embattled parapet. Each side of clerestorey has four windows, of two cinquefoil lights each in four centred head. South aisle retains in the South West corner part of the wall from a C13 church on the site. Diagonal two stage buttress with gabled coping and a similar buttress in angle of South aisle and West tower, and partly obscured. The rest of the South aisle is C14 with blocked parapet and two large beast gargoyles to the main cornice. One C14 restored window with foiled head. South porch C15 with diagonal two stage buttresses to the corners and crocketed pinnacles. Vacant niche below the embattled parapetted gable end, and above the hollow moulded two centred outer archway with embattled capitals to the engaged shafts on high bases to the responds. The porch roof is original late C15 work. The South chapel, C14, flanks the chancel and is of dressed Barnack ashlar. On the South wall there are two original windows of two trefoil lights with wave moulded reveals in square heads with labels and mask stops. The East window of the chapel has a two centred arch and restored reticulated tracery. The chancel has a parapetted gable end and a five light window with flowing tracery. The North chapel and North aisle have similar, C14 fenestration of two trefoil lights in square head, but the corners of the chapel have pinnacles with finials. Inside: C15 tower arch with panelled responds and four bay nave arcade of similar late date. Two centred double chamfered arches with continuous label on slender clustered columns. Original arches between North and South chapels and the chancel, but the Chancel arch is now carried on corbels of 1872. The nave roof, and those of the South aisle, South and North chapels are either wholly or in part original. North Chapel retains an aumbry in the North wall and piscina in the South wall, but in the chancel this has been replaced and in the South it has been removed.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p.482 V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. 4

Listing NGR: TL2667396919

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1959 - Volume: 4
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 482

National Grid Reference: TL 26673 96919

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 05:33:08.