List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1227786

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT LAWRENCE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityThornton Curtis

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165883

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 01 NE THORNTON CURTIS MAIN STREET (east side)

9/82 Church of Saint Lawrence 6.11.67

GV I

Parish church. Late C12 - early C13 chancel, C13 tower, nave arcades and south door, C14 aisles, C15 tower parapet. Restorations of 1884 by J Fowler of Louth included rebuilding south porch, new nave and chancel roofs. Limestone, ironstone and chalk rubble and squared blocks with ashlar dressings; ashlar south porch. Lead roofs to aisles, slate roofs to remainder. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses to first stage, quoins to second stage. Tall 1st stage has west lancet, cill string course, small lancet to south and clockface to west, moulded string course. 2nd stage has tall twin belfry openings with polygonal shafts in pointed chamfered reveal with shaft-rings. Corbel table, embattled parapet with C19 restored crocketed pinnacles. North aisle: stepped chamfered plinth, buttresses at angles and between bays, cill string course; pointed double- chamfered doorway with ornate early-mid C14 wrought-iron strap-hinges on C19 door, pointed 3-light east and west windows with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds. South aisle: chamfered plinth, buttresses to centre and angles with ogee-headed trefoiled niches below set-offs, cill string course, pointed 3-light windows with curvilinear tracery, hoodmoulds and headstops; walls incorporate C12-C13 child's inscribed coffin lid and fragments of others. Chancel: chamfered plinth, single pilaster buttresses to west, C14 buttresses with set-offs to east bay and angles. North side has round- headed chamfered doorway in outer shafted order with restored stiff-leaf capitals, roll moulding and hoodmould, and set in splayed pilaster buttress; 2 round-headed windows, one with hoodmould, and C19 lancet. South side has pointed 2-light Y-traceried window and 2 round-headed windows, one re-cut as pointed. Pointed 4-light east window with intersecting tracery, hoodmould and C19 foliate stops, C19 oculus in gable. C12 corbel table, mainly plain- moulded with some weathered heads. South porch: buttresses, restored pointed shafted outer arch, blind arcade of round arches in gable; 2-bay pointed vault with chamfered ribs on restored stiff-leaf capitals. Fine pointed inner arch of 3 orders: 2 shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, dog-tooth moulding between and arch with roll, bead and billet mouldings. Fine oak door has ornate wrought iron strap and C-hinges of c1200, and traceried wooden ribs to inner face. Interior. Wide pointed triple-chamfered tower arch on triple-shafted responds, with filleted inner shaft and thin C19 central shafts. Arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and foliate stops. Keeled quatrefoil piers to north with shafts between foils, plain moulded capitals, bases and circular plinths. South arcade has quatrefoil piers with rich stiff-leaf capitals, moulded bases and circular plinths: central pier and responds have dog-tooth mouldings between filleted shafts, and dog-tooth moulded abaci. Low pointed chamfered recess to each bay of north aisle wall. Ogee-headed trefoiled piscina to south aisle with mutilated bowl. Nave open to chancel. South side of chancel: pointed shafted niche with roll moulding; round-headed shafted piscina with similar mouldings and scalloped bowl. North side has voissoired door and pointed chamfered door with restored hoodmould and foliate stops. Good C19 ceiled pine waggon roof to chancel with carved angel corbels. Very fine C12 black Tournai marble font: square top with opposed pairs of carved animals to sides, standing on a cylindrical column with shafts to each corner on a square base. Monuments in south aisle: grave slab of c1300 with recessed bust in rounded-trefoil surround; ornate marble wall tablet to William Skinner of 1626 with pilasters flanking bust in circular niche and broken pediment supporting arms and crest. Restored C17 carved oak panelled pulpit. Fine C17 oak altar table with bulbous legs. C17 balustrade to tower gallery with turned balusters. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 404; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0879417871

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 404

National Grid Reference: TA 08796 17874

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 11:00:20.