List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEWARK PARK

List entry Number: 1227685

Location

NEWARK PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityOzleworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425626

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OZLEWORTH - ST 79 SE 5/136 Newark Park 6.9.54 GV I

Former hunting lodge enlarged to private house. Built c1550 for Sir Nicholas Poyntz of Iron Acton, reputedly with stone from the destroyed Kingswood Abbey, enlarged in early C17 into H-plan, formed into square and remodelled by James Wyatt in Gothick style probably in 1790s for the Rev. Lewis Clutterbuck, service wing added 1897; bequeathed to National Trust 1949, restored since 1970. Incised render on scored ashlar with string courses and moulded plinth, with stepped buttresses to south and east and embattled parapet added by Wyatt, double range hipped slate roof with internal slopes in concrete tiles and surmounted by a dragon weathervane thought also to be c1550. Large lateral stone stack to north of original east range, ridge stack to centre of west range. Originally a rectangular block facing east with projecting stair tower on west side, of 4 storeys including half-basement. Formed into H-shape with west wing in early C17, centre formed into axial hall with semi-circular ends and axial porches by Wyatt, making a square block. Service wing added on north side, of 2 storeys and in sympathetic style. Original style remains on east front with 3 bays, centre canted out over doorway in Renaissance design with small fluted columns on tall panelled plinth, and entablature and pediment with roundel. Steps up from garden bridge entrance to former basement kitchen and original servants' quarters, and both lower storeys have 2-light stone mullions flanking central bay. Two-light stone mullion and transoms, with 2 transoms to second floor, flank central bay with 3-light in centre and additional side lights on second floor. These two floors apparently originally both only one large banqueting room, with garderobes and fireplaces on north wall still mostly surviving. Large bay window now on stairs with painted glass of late C18. South front completely remodelled by Wyatt with two 12- pane sashes on each side of central triple sash, all with square hoodmoulds, and with embattled central canted porch with pointed arches to each face, panelled reveal to central recessed half- glazed double doors with 8-pane side lights on main wall plane. West front has 12-pane sashes also. Interior retains many original features from each period if development. East range has original stone moulded Tudor fireplaces revealed on 3 floors on north wall, including large kitchen fireplace, and retains several former external windows in similar style to east front, now on internal walls. West wing has remains of vaulted long gallery on upper floor. Axis between now filled on ground floor by long hall with semi-circular ends, cross columns in scagliola, with ram's head and swag frieze all round. Several ground floor rooms also retain plasterwork by Wyatt. Cantilevered moulded stone stair with wreathed and ramped handrail and stick iron balustrade leads up from hall to east bay window and back across to west wing. Basement servants' quarters contain one stone Tudor archway, and C18 brick vaulted wash room with stone sink, bakery, laundry and wine cellar. The hunting lodge was built for one of Henry VIII's courtiers, who married into the equally wealthy Berkeley family, and is important as an early attempt at the symmetry and grandeur developed in the slightly later "high" or prodigy houses, with its Renaissance detail in particular showing its origins in the court circle of masons rather than in local traditional styles. (Country Life, 3 October 1985, article by Richard Haslam; David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: ST7810793111

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
'Country Life' in 3 October, (1985)
Other
Part 16 Gloucestershire,

National Grid Reference: ST 78107 93111

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:59:00.