List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COURT HOUSE

List entry Number: 1227536

Location

COURT HOUSE, WATER SIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityMartock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARTOCK CP WATER STREET ST 4619 (West side)

12/332 Court House (formerly listed as the Old Grmnnwr School) 19.4.61

the address shall be amended to read:

ST 4619 MARTOCK CP WATER STREET (West side)

9/332 Court House (formerly listed as The Church House) 19.4.61

------------------------------------

MARTOCK CP WATER STREET ST 4619 (West side)

12/332 Court House (formerly listed as the Old Grammar School) 19.4.61

the address shall be amended to read:

ST 4619 MARTOCK CP WATER STREET (West side)

9/332 Court House (formerly listed as The Church House) 19.4.61 ------------------------------------------------- ST4619 MARTOCK CP WATER STREET (West side)

12/332 Court House (formerly listed as the Old Grammar School) 19.4.61

GV II

(Shown as Church House on OS Map). School and court house. Dated 1661, but this is misleading; building probably late C16. Ham stone ashlar facade, squared rubble to sides with ashlar dressings; plain clay tile roof between stepped coped gables; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys with attic, 8 bays irregular fenestration. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre arched lights, carver spandrils under flat arches without labels, all 2-light above and lower bays 1 and 2, this last set lower; 3-light windows to lower bays 3, 6, 7 and 8; all lower windows diamond leaded: to lower bay 4 a false 3-centred arch doorway without label, with a large stone panel over bearing the arms of William Strode of Barrington (who acquired part of Martock manor in 1637), and the legend "SCHOLA TRILINGUIS DEUS TRIN/UNI DEO GLORIA MARTOCK/ NEGLECT NOT THY OPPURTUNITIES/FUNDATA ANNO DOMMINI 1661". In the south gable a 2-light window with label at ground floor level: in north gable similar' windows at first floor and attic levels, also a first floor doorway approached by stone stairs with solid balustrade, probably C19, replacing in earlier stair going in opposite direction. In rear elevation a near-triangular arched doorway with 2-light ,mullioned window over, then projecting stair turret with small stair lights, also a C19 red brick extension; another mullioned window uncovered during works in June 1985. Inside the ground floor layout altered: the north room has a chamfered cambered arched fireplace and a 9-panel ceiling with deep moulded beams; the south partition a plank and muntin partition from elsewhere replacing one removed in 1970s; the next room has deep chamfer beams with step and runout stops, and a C18 beaded surround fireplace in the front wall; traces of other plank and muntin partition and a wide fireplace in the south gable with chamfered timber cross beam, adapted in later C20. In rear turret a stone newel stair, with 4-centre arched doorway to landing: first floor has the former courtroom at north end (undergoing restoration June 1985) with graffiti in window reveals including some of pre 1661; in north gable, two 4-centred arched doorways, one to outside and one to attic stair: roof of arched collar roof trusses, without windbraces, with an unusual scarfed joint to ends of collars of C16 rafter than C17 type. The building referred to as the court house when the school was refounded in 1661-2, but an earlier school was set up in Martock in 1636 by Thomas Farnabie, celebrated educationalist, and on the evidence of the graffiti must have been here: by 1644 the "parish house" and "school house" were synonymous. The school closed for a while in 1820 but re-endowed in 1832 only to close in 1860: in the meantime it is said to have doubled as a poor house. It was purchased by the parish as the church House in 1872, was used for a while to house a branch of the County Library, and was sold as a private house in 1975. (VCH, Vol III, 1974); Saunders, Notes on the History of the Hundred of Martock, Western Gazette, 1935).

Listing NGR: ST4611219091

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
'Western Gazette' in Western Gazette, (1935)

National Grid Reference: ST 46112 19091

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:37:04.