List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAINSGATE BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1227399

Location

WAINSGATE BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, WAINSGATE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan AuthorityWadsworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425149

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 92NE WADSWORTH C.P. WAINSGATE LANE SD 998287

7/265 Wainsgate Baptist Church and attached Sunday School 29.4.82 (formerly listed as Wainsgate Baptist church under Old Town) G.V. II*

Chapel and sunday school, dated 1859. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings, rusticated quoins, slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-bay symmetrical front with pedimented gable. Doorway with panelled pilasters, panel over containing fanlight and spandrels capped by moulded cornice; date plaque above. 4-bay return continued by school range has similar windows to front; archivolt-arched windows with console keys in architraves. Moulded eaves cornice. The school range has console-bracketed eaves and shaped kneelers to gable end, quoins. Possibly reuses materials from the 1806 chapel and manse. West elevation has 2 doorways with monolithic jambs and cornices on consoles and 2 bays of 3-light windows, taller on 1st floor. Simple Venetian window in gable. Interior: Complete c.1860 furnishings. Gallery with curved end on pews, ornately carved oak rails to platform by Mitchells of Halifax. Ornate warble pulpit with alabaster panels, good bas relief designed by Anthony Welsh 1891 and donated by the Mitchell family who gave the stained glass, by Powell Brothers of Leeds between 1859-1900. The archway of the deep organ loft has ornate Oinceaux work. The organ loft wagon roof retains original star spangled azure colour scheme but the original elaborate stencilwork decoration of the body of the chapel has been overpainted. Ornate, partly pendant pierced-work rose vent in centre of ceiling. Wall monuments to John Fawcett and to Richard Smith first minister who died in 1817. Wainsgate is an early Baptist site, the chapel being founded in 1759 by the famous Baptist preacher and author John Fawcett DD, also associated with Heptonstall Slack and Hebden Bridge Chapels (q.q.v.), whose tomb (q.v.) is in the graveyard.

Listing NGR: SD9982828798

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 99828 28798

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:05:36.