List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW

List entry Number: 1227327

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityAller

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALLER CP ST32NE 4/4 Church of St Andrew 17.4.59 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Saxon origins; work of C12/13, C15, major restoration 1861-62 by John Norton. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs with clay sawtooth ridge between coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, with north and south porches and west tower, and north east vestry. Chancel mostly C13; plinth, angled corner buttresses; 2-light Curvilinear traceried east window, much restored, under which a 1680 memorial tableti on north wall a small curved lancet window with restored head, and projecting 1861 vestry, which has a coped gable, a circular chimney and a 2-light cusped lancet window; south wall has two small buttresses flanking narrow pointed arched doorway, now blocked, and on either side a 3-light C15 window with ogee head light under flat arch, in recesses with no labels. Nave has a south east buttress; upper part of walls a C19 rebuild; south wall has a 3 light C15 window set in a 4-centre arched hollowed recess; projecting south porch, C15 origins, has side butresses, chamfered pointed outer arch now blocked. North aisle a C19 addition; plinth, bay buttresses; 3-light east and west windows and 2-light north windows in a C13 style: north porch has double chamfer outer arch and hollow chamfered inner arch, the whole a C19 addition. Tower of late C19; 3 stages, with string courses, and lower stage offsets under stone slab roofs to north and south sides; angled south west corner buttress to full height, north west octagonal stair turret capped with spirelet: lowest stage has 3-light west window of C15 tracery in hollowed pointed arched recess, square stopped label; on north side a 2-light cusped lancet, almost plate tracery; stage 2 plain save for rectangular window on west side; Stage 3 has 2-light C15 traceried windows with louvre baffles, under plain arched labels; top of tower has battlemented parapet and corner gargoyles. Inside, chancel has C19 rib and panel vault ceiling and mostly C19 fittings, but a small C18 aumbry in south wall, and a reredos by J D Sedding; in north wall an elaborate cusped niche in a rural style with effigy of a knight, probably Sir John of Clevedon, d 1373; C12 style chancel arch, mostly recut/rebuilt. Nave arcade and roof C19, former in an early C13 style. The under-tower space unusual - it seems to be originally designed as a crossing tower, with arches to north, east and south, and flying arched braces to nave walls; C20 screen across base. In south porch, accessible only from nave, a probably C11/12 doorway almost Saxon in proportions, and on South side chevron decorated doorway. Fittings include an elaborate pulpit dated 1610, timber on a C19 stone base; two fonts, one a lead-lined tulip bowl on plain turned shaft, probably C12, the other octagonal, with keyed panels, deep undercoving and twist base, dated 1660. Memorials include a Keinton stone plaque in chancel, with ornamental stone surround of 1639, traces of colour remain but memorial damaged; several C17 floor slabs; another defaced effigy in north aisle, possibly Sir John of filler, died c1272. C17 Altar table stolen since last listing. (VCH, vol III, 1974; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3963228805

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 39632 28805

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:52:07.