List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1227189

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkSt. EdmundsburyDistrict AuthorityLittle Thurlow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424828

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE THURLOW

TL6751 LITTLE THURLOW

832/22/350 Church of St Peter

19.12.61 II*

An early C14 church with C15 square tower of random stone and flint, with angle butresses and a castellated parapet with knapped flint and stone chequer work. The clerestory windows on the south side are C17, circular. The nave is of flint, stuccoed, with a slate roof. There is a C12 square font with angle-shafts and panels carved with floral motifs. The 3-sided altar rail is of the mid-late C17. The traceried dado of a C15 screen remains, with some original colouring. A Jacobean family pew has fret cut upper panels. On the north side of the chancel is the Soame's chapel, Jacobean with semi-circular arches having arabesque carving on tile soffits and pendants to the roof. It contains the fine marble and alabaster tomb of Sir Stephen Soame (d1619) who built the chapel and was Lord Mayor of London in 1593. It bears the recumbent figures of Sir Stephen and his wife and the kneeling figures of their sons and daughters. There is early C17 stained glass in the oval window of the chapel. There is the brass of a Knight and Lady circa 1520.



Listing NGR: TL6796751188

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 67967 51188

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:16:57.