List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1227141

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityWadenhoe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424777

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL08SW WADENHOE CHURCH STREET (North side)

4/220 Church of St. Michael and All 23/05/67 Angels (Formerly listed as Church of St. Michael)

GV II*

Church. Late C12, C13 and early C14, restored C18 and C19. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel, restored C18, is a 2-window range of lancets. C19 gabled vestry, projecting between windows, has south elevation of 2-window range of lancets with a niche between. Small lean-to building between vestry and east wall of south aisle. Chancel has gabled Collyweston slate roof rising behind plain parapet with 2 gargoyles. C18 two-light east window with pointed head and roundel. String course above window rises to follow line of gable above window. Plain ashlar pilasters at corners. North elevation of chancel is similar to south elevation with 2 lancet windows. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range, with 2 two-light windows to right; both with restored tracery. C13 south doorway has 2-centred arch head and roll mouldings. Single-stage buttresses between bays and lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light east window with Y-tracery and cusping. North aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range, of 2-light windows with restored tracery. 2-stage buttresses between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light east window with restored geometrical tracery and carved label stops and 2-light west window with restored tracery. C13 gabled porch in bay to right has roll-moulded inner and outer doorways with 2-centred-arch heads. Vaulted porch ceiling, restored C19/early C20. Nave clerestory of 2-window range of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow-gable roof with plain ashlar parapet. Late C12 west tower of 3 stages with 2-stage clasping buttresses. Lancet window to west face of first stage and C12 triple arcade with detached shafts to north face. Lancets to south and west faces, one is blocked. Lancets, to staircase, to each face of upper stage. Opening to east face has centre shaft and opening to north face has square head. Saddleback roof, with ashlar gable parapets and finial, is probably C13. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers. Semi-circular responds to north side and polygonal responds to south side. C13 north arcade with nailhead decoration to capitals and c.1300 south arcade with some stiff-leaf capitals. Double-chamfered chancel arch with bracketed responds with green-man and similar corbel. Double-chamfered tower arch with polygonal reponds. C18 plain tunnel-vaulted chancel ceiling and C19 roof structures to nave and aisles. 2 small relieving arches with keyblocks at floor level in vestry. Trefoil head piscina in south aisle. C13 circular font decorated with stiff leaves and supported on 4 shafts. Perpendicular bench ends in aisles. Fragments of C17 panelling in chancel and south aisle. Late C18 fielded-panelled pulpit. Wooden plaque in north aisle has inscription: 1686 John Waver, John Peric, churchwardens. 2 hatchments in belfry. Fragment of medieval glass in east window of south aisle. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass in all chancel windows, probably by Kempe, and east window of north aisle. Monuments: John Andrewe died 1629, brass plaque in floor of nave. Brooke Bridges died 1702, north wall of chancel by E. Stanton, inscribed marble tablet with pilasters, segmental pediment and 3 cherubs heads at base. C18 marble tablet on opposite wall has broken pediment and illegible inscription. Various C19 inscribed tablets to the Hunt family of Wadenhoe House. (VCH; Northamptonshire: Vol.3, p149; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p439)

Listing NGR: TL0086383284

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 439
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 149

National Grid Reference: TL 00863 83284

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:16:02.