List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1226810

Location

2 AND 4, HOMERTON HIGH STREET E9

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHackneyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Mar-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424222

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:- HOMERTON HIGH STREET, E9 TQ 3585 (south side) 20/258 Nos 2 and 4 24.4.51 II*

TIE DESCRIPTION SHALL BE AMENDED TO READ:

House. c.1530 for Sir Ralph Sadler, statesman; early C17 alterations for Capt John Milward; internal alterations of c.1700, when recessed central range of front (north) elevation was clad in brick; sub-divided into two dwellings c.1752-4; east wing rendered in mid C19; rear range (Wenlock Barn) of c.1904 and east and west wing additions of c.1904. Built of C16 English bond brick with dipper work, early C18 Flemish bond brick and c.1904 plum brick with red brick dressings; gabled and hipped plain tile roofs; west wing has two C16 lateral stacks with C18 brick flues; east wing has C16 lateral stack with external Tudor-arched fireplace/recess; C16 rear lateral stack (facing courtyard) to north range, finished in C18 brick. Plan: C16 H-plan house with central hall range, transformed into its present courtyard plan by the building of the south range in c.1904. Exterior: 3 storeys. Front (north) elevation of 2:4:2 fenestration with projecting outer wings. Recessed central range, refaced in early C18 brick, has c.1904 wooden porches to front of outer doors set in mid C18 moulded wood architrave to left and mid C18 pilasters flanking decorative overlight to right; gauged red brick flat arches over C20 horned 12-pane ground-floor sashes, 18-pane first-floor sashes and 16-pane second-floor sashes with blind outer windows; front of west wing, splayed on left corner, has early C18 gauged red brick flat arches over horned 8-pane sashes and 12-pane second- floor sashes; front of east wing, stuccoed in mid C19 with rusticated quoins and channelled ground floor, has horned 4-pane sashes set in moulded square-headed architraves with decorative brackets to ground and first floor cornices. Originally gabled front was given present parapets in early C18. Left side wall (of east wing) has C18 segmental and flat brick arches (using C16 brick) over deepened and inserted window openings; right side wall (of west wing) has large C16 first floor window opening with square-headed chamfered architrave, and similar smaller openings to rear on second floor (C16) and first floor (early C17 insertion to light staircase) above inserted C19 window. Rear of west wing has C18 segmental arches over inserted window openings with C19 eighteen-pane sashes to first floor. Additions of 1904, including one-storey, 5-bay rear range, have gauged red brick cambered arches over casement windows and moulded wood cornices. Courtyard elevations: north elevation has mid C18 doorframe with decorative overlight to west and C18 segmental brick arches over C19 eighteen-pane first-floor sashes and C19 second-floor sashes in mid C19 moulded wood architraves; west elevation has C16 first-floor window opening with 3-light Gothick-style window of c.1904 above inserted ground-floor opening of c.1700 with C16 reset 6-light wood-mullioned and transomed window with leaded lights; east elevation has blocked C16 window to north of first floor, small C19 inserted window, C18 segmental-arched window (with reused C16 brick) above c1904 twelve-pane sash and wide segmental-arched doorway (with reused C16 brick) to centre of ground floor. Interior: 4-centred arched recesses to cellars of east and west wings. C18 panelled doors and shutters. East wing: ground floor room to front has early C18 panelling and dentilled cornice, and C16 stone fireplace with blank shields and vine trails to spandrels of arched moulded architrave; ground floor room to rear, the former C16 kitchen, has chamfered bressummer over blocked open fireplace adjoining position of C18 service staircase and doorway to courtyard inserted in position of C16 window; these two rooms are separated by a fine open-well staircase of c.1700, inserted in its present position c.1752-4 with panelled dado, barley-twist balusters and ramped handrail; first- floor room to front has mid C19 dentilled cornice with rosettes and square- headed doorway to C16 garderobe chamber adjoining chimneystack; mid C18 panelled dado to first-floor room to rear. Central hall range, sub-divided by insertion of flanking through-passage walls c.1752-4, has panelling of c.1752-4 and C16 four-centred arch over blocked fireplace to ground floor room, and diagonally- opposed doorways (one to east blocked) and C16 stone fireplace with arched moulded architrave to first floor room. West wing: ground-floor rooms are entered from west passage through a reversed C16 moulded wood architrave with sunk spandrels to 4-centred arch, adjoining a blocked C16 doorway; ground-floor room to front (linenfold panelling in store at time of survey) has C16 stone fireplace with moulded architrave and blank shields to sunk spandrels; timber- framed partition between latter room and centrally-placed stair hall, which has C16 doorway, with urn stops to moulded wood architrave, to ground floor room to rear which has blocked C16 door and window to east wall and C18 spit racks over fireplace set in mid C18 moulded wood architrave with late C17 marbled surround; dog-leg with landing staircase, inserted in early C17, has fine strapwork wall paintings to landing with pendentives to upper frieze and gryphons and cherubs etc flanking moulded wood door architraves with sunk spandrels to arches; first floor room to front has early C17 panelling, early C17 partition (with reused timbers) to rear and C16 stone fireplace with moulded stone architrave and painted armorial shields to foliate-carved spandrels; first floor room to rear has timber-framed partition to front, adjacent to stair hall; second floor has late C17 balustrade, probably reset. Clasped and purlin roof has purlins clasped between diminished principals and raking struts. History: a rare survival of an early C16 medium-sized house in the London area; called 'the bryk place' in an indenture of c.1550; early C17 alterations, including west wing staircase and painted shields, were made for Captain John Milward; sub-divided as two houses c.1752-4; became St John's Institute in c.1890; purchased by national Trust in 1938. (RCHME, East London, 1930, pp 45-6; unpublished report by Mike Gray of the Sutton House Society)

------------------------------------

1. HOMERTON HIGH STREET E8 5013 (South Side) ----------------------- Nos 2 & 4 (Sutton House) (Formerly listed as St John s Institute) TQ 3585 20/258 24.1.51. II*

2. H-shaped early C16 house with alterations circa 1600 and early C18. 3 storeys, 4-window centre and 2-window projecting wings. Narrow red bricks with some diapering of blue headers. Low brick plinth. Rebuilt parapet. East wing has C19 rendering. Windows are early C18 sashes with thick glazing bars in exposed, near-flush box frames, under flat gauged brick arches. Some C19 window replacement and some renewal of brickwork in centre part. C19 doors under modern hipped tiled hoods. Rear courtyard, now closed off by modern range of buildings, shows a large mullioned and transomed C16 window in west wing, and more diapered brickwork. Inside a room with rearranged linenfold panelling and an original stone fireplace, 2 rooms with restored C17 plain panelling and a carved overmantel and one room with complete early C18 panelling and carved chimneypiece. On landing 2 early C17 doors facing, and another between, have painted strapwirk decoration above them. Fragments of a C17 staircase, and a complete early C18 staircase, remain. A C16 ground floor door, with asymmetrical head, suggests the paired doors at screens end of a hall.

Listing NGR: TQ3527685090

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of London V East - Date: 1930

National Grid Reference: TQ 35276 85090

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 04:22:31.