List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1226650

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarringtonUnitary AuthorityLymm

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423762

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 NE LYMM C.P. CHURCH LANE (south side)

2/41 Church of St.Mary the Virgin

24/1/1950 II

Church 1850-2 by John Dobson, west tower rebuilt 1888-90 by J.S.Crowther. Buff sandstone (coursed in tower, tooled squared rubble elsewhere). Aisled nave of 5 bays, north porch, transepts, chancel, vestry, 3-stage battlemented west tower with diagonal buttresses. Perpendicular west window and paired bell-openings with panel tracery. 3-light Perpendicular aisle windows under camber-arches; triple trefoil-headed lancets to clerestory; geometrical windows and diagonal buttresses to transepts; geometrical east windows, Perpendicular window to vestry/sacristy. Interior: Nave arcades have octagonal piers; arch-braced trusses to roof. Collar-beam trusses to transepts, panelled roof to chancel. Galleries in transepts. Stained glass west window 1853, east window 1865 (in memory of Rector), 3 south aisle windows by Wailes, 1 north aisle window by Kempe. Octagonal stone font, probably mid C17; plain panelled oak pulpit 1623. Supposed Roman altar (in preserved medieval Decorated niche in south aisle), but with IW (John Warburton?) carved on head and horseshoe motif on each side of stone. Monuments: W.Domville 1686; John Leigh 1806 and wife 1819; tablets to members of Fox family early C19. Hatchments in tower.

Listing NGR: SJ6826586810

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 68265 86810

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 10:43:35.