List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY OF ETON WITH ST AUGUSTINE

List entry Number: 1226605

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY OF ETON WITH ST AUGUSTINE, EASTWAY E9

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHackneyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423956

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. EASTWAY E9 5013 ---------- Church of St Mary of Eton with St Augustine TQ 3684 27/198 24.4.51. GV II*

Church. Founded by the Eton College mission in 1880, the present church was built 1890-2 to the designs of George Frederick Bodley, under the title Bodley and Garner. Enlarged 1910-12 at the west end, with vestries and tower added by Cecil Hare, Bodley's successor. Red brick with Bath stone dressing; high-pitched slated roof. Decorated style with reticulated or flamboyant tracery. INTERIOR: 8-bay Nave and chancel under one wooden cradle roof, with north and south arcades on tall rectangular piers, with single chamfered outer and inner arches, the latter resting on corbels. Narrow passage aisles and ambulatory behind altar. Screen by Bodley, now at the west end; altar by W. Ellery Anderson, 1930. Lady Chapel at south-east corner with decorated ceiling. Main east window and east window of the Lady Chapel by Francis Spear, 1953. West end: font, 1891, in projecting baptistry with decorated ceiling and separated from the nave with Bodley screen. The screen is painted gold and dark green, with intricate Gothic tracery. Historical Note: The church forms the focus of the Eton College Mission founded by William How, first Bishop of Wakefield, in 1880. The Clergy and social workers, mostly old Etonians, lived in the ancillary buildings which were built 1892-1912. In 1953 the parish of St Mary's joined that of St Augustine's and the Etonian connection died out. This church has an important place in Bodley's work, one of the last in his late group of churches and with a special function in religious and social outreach. ----------------------------------------------------------



Listing NGR: TQ3665684782

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 36656 84782

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:15:12.