List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MADEY MILL

List entry Number: 1226550

Location

MADEY MILL, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityMartock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Madey Mill, East Street. 12/256 9/256

------------------------------------ Madey Mill, East Street. 12/256 9/256

------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP EAST STREET (South side, off)

12/256 Madey Mill

-

GV II*

Water mill. Medieval origins, current buildings C17, extended C19. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tile roof between stepped coped gables with gabletted crown to south and ashlar chimney stack to north. Two-storeys with attic, 5 bays east elevation. Wheel at south end, bay 1, the leat feeding in at first floor level; then hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in reveals, with hoodmoulds; 2-light bays 1 and 2 and lower bay 3, 3-light to bay 4, and to bay 5 a 2-storey projection under lean-to roof, with 2-light mullioned windows in south return, above a plain chamfered doorway. South gable end has a 3-light mullioned window to match at each level. West elevation is the C19 extension in lean-to form under a Welsh slate roof, having 4 bays of 3-light small-pane casement windows, the lower with voussoired segmental arched heads, except bay 2, which has segmental-arched double doorways to each level, the upper in a small gable. Inside the overshot iron wheel by Sparrows of Martock, about 3 metres diameter, all buckets missing; all grinding machinery appears to survive at first floor level, although not in working order. Probably one of 2 Domesday mills - this mill known as Madey mill since C14; in 1592 was coupled with a horse mill; it passed to the Manor in 1637, and was probably rebuilt soon after; in C19 became one of several mills held by the Hopkins family. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).



Listing NGR: ST4674719058

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1974 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: ST 46747 19058

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:21:58.