List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1226485

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthoritySudborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423805

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP9682 SUDBOROUGH MAIN STREET (South side)

10/149 Church of All Saints 23/05/67

GV II*

Church. Probably C12 origins, mainly C13 with C15 alterations, restored 1808, 1830 and 1870-1. Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, transepts, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel is a 3-window range with one-, 2- and 3-light square-head windows. Single-light window to far left has carved label stops, other windows have un-cut label stops. 2-stage buttresses with cusped gablets to centre and right. Priest door to left. Shallow lean-to projection below right window. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets, finial and large truncated pinnacle, with corbel below, at end. 4-light square-head east window. North elevation of chancel is a 3-window range similar to the south but with tall low-side window to far right. South elevation of south transept has 4-light window with cusped Y-tracery and 3 spherical triangles above. Steeply gabled roof with Collyweston slates. 2-light square-head east window. North elevation of north transept has similar window to south transept, restored C19. Similar gabled roof and 2-light east window. South aisle of 2 bays, one-window range, with one Perpendicular 3-light window to right under 4-centred arch head. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. Similar 3-light west window. Gabled porch to left bay has moulded outer doorway with 2-centred arch head and semi-circular responds, and moulded inner doorway with niche above. North aisle is of 2 bays similar to south aisle with 3-light Perpendicular window to left, restored C19. North door to right, with 2-centred arch head, roll-moulding and one order of shafts. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. Similar 3-light west window, restored C19. Nave has steeply gabled roof with Collyweston slates. 3-stage west tower with 2-stage clasping buttresses to first stage. 3-light west window with cusping and spherical triangles, all restored C19; original carved label stops. Single lancets to north and south face of second stage and small roundel with cusping to west face. 2-light bell-chamber openings, to each face of upper stage, have Y-tracery and cusping. Corbel table with plain ashlar parapet above and crocketed pinnacles at corners. Small pyramid roof with Collyweston slates and wrought-iron weathervane. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered and hollowed arches with circular piers. Double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and triple-chamfered and hollowed tower arch with hollowing carried through the capitals of the responds. Double-chamfered arches with semi-circular responds, at each pier spacing. Shallow arched recesses to east wall of transept. C19 roof structures. Piscina and sedilia to right of altar with triple shafts, fillets and head-stops. Piscina in south transept. Octagonal font with panelled cover. Monuments: Sir Robert Vere died 1249, effigy of cross-legged knight in recess with shallow-moulded arch and shafts to right of altar. William West died 1390 and wife, 2 brass figures, with children alongside, on east wall of north transept. Various C17 and C18 inscribed tablets to nave and chancel floor. Stained glass: fragments of pre-C19 glass in east window of south transept. C19 stained glass to south-west chancel window, and east window of north transept. East window is by Kempe. Clock in tower c.1740, given by Lady Elizabeth Germain of Drayton House has striking mechanism only and no face. The cruciform plan probably originates from the C12 church. A stone inscribed with a Saxon cross was discovered during the C19 restoration. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.420; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.245).

Listing NGR: SP9676882108

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 420
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 245

National Grid Reference: SP 96768 82108

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 05:55:38.