List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1226441

Location

WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, NORTHGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan AuthorityHeptonstall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423735

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9828SE HEPTONSTALL C.P. NORTHGATE (east side) Heptonstall

9/109 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

1.11.66

G.V. II*

Chapel, c.1764 to design recommended by John Wesley who laid the foundation stone, extended 1802. Watershot masonry, ashlar dressings, slate roof. 2 storeys. Irregular octagon originally built as symmetrical octagon. Chamfered plinth, rusticated quoins, band. Central doorway, now partly blocked to form a window with stained glass, has tall monolithic jambs, semi-circular arched head with moulded impost and triple keystone. Angled faces to either side have tall doorway with monolithic jambs and square fanlight. 1st floor has windows with plain stone surrounds and projecting sills with coloured glass margin panes. Longer sides have 2 similar windows to each floor. Tripartite hipped roof believed to be constructed by the same carpenter who had made the Rotherham Octagon (1761). Interior: Gallery with canted ends carried on stone Tuscan columns:entablature has plaster cast of laurel leaves. Some box pews to main body, raked seating to gallery. Minister's tall pulpit with en-suite altar rails and small organ behind, all contemporary with early C19 alteration. Octagonal plaster boss to ceiling. Some stained glass windows. Copper plaque (on outside) inscribed: " HEPTONSTALL METHODIST CHAPEL THE OLDEST METHODIST CHAPEL IN THE WORLD IN CONTINUOUS USE. THE SOCIETY WAS FOUNDED BY WILLIAM DARNEY ABOUT 1742 THE REV. JOHN WESLEY PREACHED AT HEPTONSTALL FOR THE LAST TIME IN 1786"

Illustrated in K. Parry, Trans-Pennine Heritage (1981) p.66; D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire, Architects and Architecture, (1978) p.197.

Listing NGR: SD9877128160

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 197
Parry, K, Trans Pennine Heritage Hills People and Transport, (1981), 66

National Grid Reference: SD 98771 28160

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 01:13:16.