List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1226297

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityWarkworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423521

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP44SE WARKWORTH

1/177 Church of St Mary 04/02/69

- II*

Church. C14, partly rebuilt C19. Limestone and ironstone. Artificial stone slate and lead roof. Chancel and north vestry; north and south aisles; south transept; south porch. West tower. Chancel windows Victorian. North vestry has re-used Perpendicular 2-light window with square head. East window of south transept: Decorated, 4 lights, tracery with quatrefoils and trefoils and a hood with ball flower decoration and headstops. South doorway also C14. Window to left C14, (tracery renewed) 3 lights and hood with headstops. West tower: C14, three stages with crenellated parapet, corbel table, and gargoyles at angles. Square turret at north west corner. Bell openings are Decorated, 3 lights with flowing tracery. All north aisle windows Victorian. Interior: chancel arch C14, triple chamfered with half octagonal responds. 3-bay north arcade, C14, has octagonal pier and moulded capitals carved with grotesque heads. South arcade Victorian. South aisle has squint to chancel and to right a plain square low-side window. Above it is part of a blocked C14 arch. C14 arch to transept, double chamfered, with half octagonal responds. Fittings: Tub front, probably Romanesque, re-cut C14 with arcade of blind ogee arches. Re- used C14-15 tracery on bench ends, one carved with an "Annunciation", Effigy of a knight (Sir John de Lyons?) on tomb-chest c.1350, of clunch. Tomb-chest elaborately carved with crockleted ogee panels containing shields and figures of mourners. C14 relief of "Virgin and Child" at foot of effigy not insitu. C14 stone effigies of Knight and Lady, in recesses in north aisle. Wall monument to William Holman died 1740, signed by R. Mottley, in south transept. Grey and white marble with elaborate architectural frame. Marble floor slabs to Holman family of Warkworth Castle. Late C17-18, with fine lettering and crests carved in shallow relief. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.444).

Listing NGR: SP4865140719

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 444

National Grid Reference: SP 48651 40719

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 05:25:18.