List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1226171

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan AuthorityHeptonstall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423308

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9828SE HEPTONSTALL C.P. HEPTONSTALL

9/77 Church of St. Thomas

1.11.66

G.V. II*

Church, c.1850-1854 by Mallinson and Healey. Set in the same church yard as the Church of St. Thomas a Becket which it replaced. Ashlar, slate roof. Tall west tower, nave, aisles, chancel and chancel chapels, north porch and south porch. Gothic Revival with Perpendicular traceried windows. 3-stage embattled tower. Angle buttresses. North door has pointed arched doorway with richly moulded surround and carved spandrels. West window set in 1st stage, square window with 4 quatrefoil lights in 2nd stage. Tall belfry windows of 3 over 3 lights to 3rd stage with elaborate hoodmould. Richly embattled parapet with tall pinnacles. 6-bay nave with 3-light windows to aisles and clerestorey, articulated by offset buttresses surmounted by gargoyles. Buttresses to clerestorey rise to form crocketed pinnacles. Richly embattled roofs with pinnacles and carved cross at division with chancel which has lower roof. 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chancel chapels. Diagonal buttresses rise to form pinnacles at east end with broad east window of 5 over 5 lights with cusped heads and plate tracery. 2-light windows in single bay return walls at basement level light small crypt chapel. Gabled porches with decorated diagonal buttresses and pinnacles has pointed arched doorway with richly moulded surround rising from colonnettes. Hoodmould has carved faces to termination. Interior: Arcades with pointed arches rising from piers with clustered colonnettes and moulded capitals. Queen post roof with spandrels filled with tracery. This rests on long posts with curved braces to tie beam, carved stone angels. Lean-to roofs to aisles. Archbraced roof to chancel. Most windows have stained glass. Reordered seating and furnishings in a modern cathedral style c.1964 at the bequest of Abraham Gibson of Greenwood Lee (q.v.) by Robert Maguire and Keith Murray. In the 3rd bay of the nave a large new organ screen divides the church in two. Fine organ by Hill, Norman and Beard, 1964. The unusual 11 sided font from the old church is set behind the screen in preference to the 1850 font which is to one side of the altar. Some monuments from the old church are now housed in the tower which has the earlier church's clock made by Titus Bancroft of Sowerby Bridge in 1809. This has an 18' pendulum, dials 6' in diameter. The chief merit of the church lies in its landscape value. It is superbly sited and is visible on the skyline from every surrounding valley. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1479) p.262, 631. Illustrated in K. Parry, Trans-Pennine Heritage (1981) p.136.

Listing NGR: SD9864528006

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Parry, K - Title: Trans Pennine Heritage Hills People and Transport - Date: 1981 - Page References: 136
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding - Date: 1967 - Page References: 262, 631

National Grid Reference: SD 98645 28006

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2014 at 10:29:47.