List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASTROP HOUSE

List entry Number: 1226127

Location

ASTROP HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityKings Sutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423234

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP53NW KINGS SUTTON ASTROP

5/136 Astrop House 31/08/60

- II*

House. Built c.1740 for Sir John Willes. Additions 1805 by Sir John Soane for the Rev. W.S. Willes. Reduced in size 1961. Limestone ashlar stone stacks. 2 storeys, basement and attic. 7 bays. Parapetted roof. 3 centre bays project under a pediment. Central stone porch with pediment, C19. Entrance framed by Tuscan pilasters has fanlight and 6-panel double doors. Sash window on each side has architrave with Tuscan pilasters and moulded entablature. Sash windows in 2 outer bays to left and right have eared architraves and alternating segmental and triangular pediments. Similar windows on first floor. Moulded entablature. C19 parapet with filigree stone work. Stone stacks with Grecian incised ornament. Rear: 2 storeys and attic, 7 bays. 3 central bays project under pediment. Central doorway (now window) with Gibbs surround. Sash windows with alternating triangular and segmental pediments. Interior not inspected, but said to have C18 staircase and dining room with 4 pairs of columns by Soane. Soane added wings to house in 1805, which were heightened in the C19 and demolished 1961. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.95-6; H. Colvin, Dictionary of English Architects, 1978, p.770).

Listing NGR: SP5087836794

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 770

National Grid Reference: SP 50878 36794

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:55:36.