List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1225733

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HALL YARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityKing's Cliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422104

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGS CLIFFE HALL YARD TL0097 (West side) 12/113 Church of All Saints 23/05/67 GV I Church. Early C12, C13, C14 chancel rebuilt C15, datestone 1648, restored 1862 by Bryan Browning of Stamford. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and ashlar tower and spire, part rendered. Lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Cruciform plan with central tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with shallow triangular heads. 2-stage ashlar buttresses between windows. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapet. 5-light Perpendicular east-window with 4-centred arch-head and hollow reveals. Flanking 2-stage clasping buttresses. Datestone 1648 in apex of gable. North elevation of chancel is of 2 bays, one-window range. 3-light window, similar to south elevation, to left. Priest door with 4-centred arch-head to right of centre. Central 2-stage ashlar buttress. South transept has 3-light Perpendicular south window with 4-centred arch-head. Flanking 2-stage clasping buttresses. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet. Similar 3-light east window. Priest door, with 4-centred arch-head, to right. North transept has 3-light, square head, north window with cusped lead lights, carved label stops and relieving arch over. Flanking 2-stage clasping buttresses. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapet. 4-light east window with 4-centred arch-head. 2-stage buttress, to left, at abutment with chancel. Small single-light window in west elevation. South aisle of 3 bays; 2-window range. 3-light windows with 4-centred arch-heads, to centre and right. 2-stage ashlar buttress between windows. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet and 2 gargoyles. 3-light west window is similar to south windows. Gabled porch breaks forward from left bay. Outer doorway has double-chamfered 4-centred arch-head with semi-circular responds. Matrices of monumental brass, in masonry, to left of doorway. Flanking 2-stage clasping buttresses. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch-head and continuous hollowed and roll mouldings. 2 memorial tablets inside porch to Carrington family, dated 1798, 1822 and 1829. Ashlar gable parapets and Collyweston slate roof. North aisle is 3 bays; 2-window range all similar to the south aisle with castellated ashlar parapet and 3 gargoyles. 3-light west window has continuous mullions, cusping and carved label stops. Gabled north porch and doorways are similar to south porch with 2 single-light windows in return walls of porch. Partially legible C17 datestone in apex of porch. 2 memorial tablets to Attkins family dated 1781, 1783 and 1802 and tablets to Wood family dated 1790, 1796 and early C19 dates, inside porch. West elevation of nave has tall 3-light west windows with curvilinear tracery. Flanking 3-stage ashlar angle buttresses at corners with gabled and crocketed heads. Line of former roof pitch is visible in the masonry. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light windows, restored mid C19. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet. C12 central tower of 2 irregular stages, C12 two-light windows with semi circular head, plain tympanum and central shaft, to north and west face of lower stage. Upper stage has corner pilasters supporting C13 broach spire rising from a corbel table. 3 tiers of lucarnes. Lowest tier is half in second stage of tower. 2-light opening with central shaft and nailhead decoration. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of hollowed and moulded arches with octagonal piers and castellated abaci. Double-chamfered tower arches at the crossing, remodelled late C13, with octagonal and semi-circular responds. Hollowed and moulded arches, from aisles to transepts, have plain springing with no responds. Cluster respond in chancel may have been intended for a north chapel. Perpendicular nave roof has carved bosses and corbels. Aisle and transept roofs have some original structure. C19 chancel roof. Tall niches, with cusping, flanking altar. Piscina with crude trefoil-head, to right of altar, also one other niche and arched recess. C15, square-head, bench ends reset from Church of St. Mary and All Saints, Fotheringhay. Pulpit incorporates medieval openwork panels, with cusping. Octagonal font with alternate quatrefoil circles supported on 5 renewed columns. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass also said to be from Fotheringhay Church in 2 west windows, north aisle windows and 2 south transept windows. Late C19 east window and 2 windows in south aisle c.1904 by Kempe. Shaft of C12 tower window above nave crossing. Monuments: Thomas Boughton C17 tablet, with pediment over, in north transept. Thorpe family inscribed tablet c.1623 in north transept has pediment and obelisk over. Records 3 generations of Thomas Thorpe of whom John Thorpe, master mason, was son of the third generation. Richard Wildbore, d.1688, and Samuel Wymen, d.1700, 2 brass tablets in chancel. Thomas Law, d.1711, inscribed tablet, above, with broken segmental pediment. Inscribed latin tablet to right is dated 1748. C18 and C19 floor tablets to left and right of altar. Thomas Von, d.1739, and wife, 2 inscribed tablets with segmental pediments, in south aisle. Various C19 tablets to Law, Bonney, and Carrington families and others. Several monuments have trade of deceased recorded. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p276; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p42)

Listing NGR: TL0069497080

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 276
Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 00694 97080

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 08:47:24.