List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1225679

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityStaveley-in-Cartmel

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422155

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAVELELY-IN-CAitTMEL STAVELEY SD 38 NE 7/97 Church of St Mary 25.3.70 G.V. II

Church. A church in existence 1618, repaired 1678 (plaque to east end), south aisle and tower possibly 1793; restored 1897 by Austin and Paley. Stone rubble, south side slate-hung, with slate roofs. Single vessel nave and chancel with west tower and gabled south aisle and lean-to vestry to south of tower. Tower has pointed entrance with continuous mouldings and straight-headed window of 2 cusped lights above, possibly C19. Bell stage has band under, and paired round-headed bell openings in ashlar surrounds with louvres. Projecting embattled parapet has simple crocketed pinnacles. Clock face to north; vestry to south has casement window and roughcast to tower above, with lead dripcourse. North side irregularly placed windows of 2 round-headed lights of varying heights, that to east end has inscription: "EX DONO THO: PRESTON AR/1678" to head. South side has similar 2-light windows, regularly placed. East end has coped gables, chancel cross. Window of 2 ogee-headed lights to north aisle; chancel has 3-light window with simple uncusped tracery based on Gothic models. Plaque above records repair of church by W. Robinson and T. Barwick in 1678. Interior has arcade of arch-braced timber posts. Nave roof of arch braced collar trusses with turned kingposts and 2 tiers of wind braces; aisle roof simpler, with arch braced collars; all C19. Double-chamfered tower arch dying into jambs. Simple octagonal font; timber pulpit with rectangular tracery panels, similar panels to stalls; altar rail with turned balusters, all C19. Organ in east end of aisle. Copper plaque recording restoration of 1896-7 on south wall. Vestry has 2 ogee panels painted with head of crucified Christ and 3 cherubs.

Listing NGR: SD3793985934

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 37939 85934

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:12:05.