List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1225604

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityMarbury cum Quoisley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422036

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARBURY CUM QUOISLEY C.P. (Off) CHURCH LANE SJ 54 NE 2/57 Church of St.Michael ??-?-67 II* GV Church. C16 with a classical chancel of 1822,Gothicised by Douglas and Fordham in 1891-2 at which time the organ chamber was added. Red sandstone ashlar with a slate roof. Western tower, aisled nave, chancel and north eastern organ chamber. Perpendicular Tower: western end: diagonal buttresses with offsets. Projecting plinth with moulded top. Double doorway to ground level with double reveals and hood mould with label stops. Above is a 3-light early Perpendicular window with trefoil-headed lights and chamfered reveal with hood mould and label stops. String course above carved with grotesque heads and above that a 3-light louvred belfry opening with cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. Further string course with grotesque heads below the level of the battlemented parapet which has gargoyles at the corners and to the centre. The parapet has panelled piers to the corners and centre with crocketed pinnacles. North face: blank below the level of the lower string course similar to the western face above this. South face: similar save for a diamond-shaped clock board with circular clock face set below the belfry opening. Nave: north face : 3 bays divided by buttresses with offsets and having an angle buttress at right. Doorway with 4-centred chamfered reveal to the far right. To the centre is a 3-light early-Perpendicular window with trefeil-headed lights and to left of this a 3-light window with plate-tracery, hood-mould and label stops. Three clerestory windows each of 4 lights with trefoil heads set in chamfered reveal. Above these are a moulded string course and an embattled parapet with four panelled piers with crocketed pinnacles. South face: at left is an C18 gabled porch with brick walling to the lower body and Yellow sandstone ashlar quoins to the corners. Red sandstone ashlar door surround and gable above, both of C19 date. Inside the porch is a panelled late medieval door with coffin-nail decoration and strap hinges. To right are two bays divided by buttresses with offsets as on the north face with triple-light windows with trefoil heads to the lights. Similar clerestory to that on the north face, with parapet above. Trefoil-headed lancet light to the eastern window of the southern aisle. The chancel has a projecting organ chamber of c.1892 to the north with a three-light window of rudimentary Perpendicular form. To left of this is a 2-light cusped window. The southern face has at centre a porch with central. 4-centred archway and buttresses with offsets to either side and gable above with central shield. The eastern end has diagonal buttresses to either corner, a 5-light window with casement-moulded surround, hood mould and shield label-stops. Interior: The nave arcades have octagonal piers with chamfered capitals and chamfered arches above. - Chamfered surrounds to the clerestory windows. Panelled roof of c.1891-2 with ovolo-moulded surrounds to the panels and some carved woodwork. Double-chamfered tower arch with wooden screen below of c.1891-2 divided by semi-octagonal posts with angel finials.

Listing NGR: SJ5605245636

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 56052 45636

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:31:03.