List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COTTAGE ST LAWRENCE WELL THE OLD COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1225494

Location

THE COTTAGE ST LAWRENCE WELL, UNDERCLIFFE DRIVE
THE OLD COTTAGE, UNDERCLIFFE DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityVentnor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Jul-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 421889

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UNDERCLIFF DRIVE 1. 5271 St Lawrence The Cottage St Lawrence Well and The Old Cottage SZ 57 NW 5/177 II* 2. A large picturesque asymmetrical design with Gothic/Tudor detail. "The Old Cottage", part of the former service wing to "The Cottage St Lawrence Well", is probably the original C17 or C18 cottage altered initially and made subsidiary to the new building as Sir Richard Worseley's marine residence in 1794. It is at the east end of the main house, 2 storeys stone rubble with saddlestone gable ends, shaped tiles to roof - gable over right hand part of garden front. 2 light stone mullioned windows. Corbel brackets to weathered stone hood over Tudor arched doorway. The main house "The Cottage St Lawrence Well", is of 1794, an early picturesqu design with some slightly later alterations. 2 storeys, ashlar blocks with intervening small stones. West entrance front has central 2 storey gabled porch, plain bargeboards, the ground floor open octagonal stone piers supporting 1st floor. This has stone mullioned oriel bay window with tiled pent roof. Flanking bays have 3 light marginal glazed windows with drip moulds. Tiled roof, deep flat eaves, openwork bargeboards to gable ends. The south garden front has 2 bargeboard gabled bays, that to left hand with original canted bay - 2 light casements with purple tinted marginal glazing, as door to centre ground floor; drip moulds over. Large 2 storey rectangular bay to right hand with drip moulds over casements is a later, C19, addition. Lower service wing, set back, links with "The Old Cottage". Interior: staircase behind west entrance of simple open string continuous handrail type; in the 2 front rooms flanking entrance, late C18 marble mantlepieces. The roof line of the main house is punctuated by grouped chimneys some of Tudor pattern, shaped ridge tiles. From the north side of the main house curves a tooled ashlar covered way with slate roof, on plain iron columns and open to garden side, leading to tunnel vault passage to drive. The elevation of the passage entrance to drive is flanked by capped piers with round headed archway and scrolled wrought iron gates.

Listing NGR: SZ5413176721

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 54131 76721

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 04:03:27.