List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TATE GALLERY

List entry Number: 1222913

Location

TATE GALLERY, MILLBANK SW1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity of WestminsterLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 418231

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2078 NW and 2978 NE MILLBANK, SW1

1900/105/36; 1900/106/9 Tate Gallery

GV II*

Public gallery. 1897, by Sidney R.J. Smith, additions in 1909, 1926 by W Romaine Walker, Duveen Galleries added by John Russell Pope, architect of the National Gallery in Washington DC, with Romaine Walker and Jenkins opened in 1937, 1970s rear extension in galleries 25-30 and Turner (Clore) Gallery wing to north by James Stirling (1984-85). Portland stone, glazed and leaded roofs. Late Victorian grand manner with freely handled Baroque features concentrated on portico-entrance pavilion (somewhat to the detriment of the overall composition). Symmetrically planned grid of top lit galleries with corner pavilions and central axis marked by prominent projection of porticoed entrance pavilion containing arched and vaulted vestibule followed on axis by octagonal hall and principal gallery behind, the whole raised on rusticated basement. The pedimented Corinthian portico, crowned by figures of Britannia and Lion and Unicorn, is approached by broad flight of steps with balustraded parapet swept out around the terrace enclosing the entrance pavilion. The blind flank walls have entablature and balustraded parapet broken forward over corner pilastered pavilions with modified Venetian windows. Interior has marble clad arched and vaulted vestibule and domed octagonal hall, etc; entrance hall has stained glass by E Bossanyi of 1938-41; the basement restaurant has a large mural by Rex Whistler which is one of the outstanding mural schemes of the Inter-War years; restaurant and coffee bar redesigned 1983-85 by'Jeremy Dixon. This was the first purpose-built gallery in the country devoted to national art. It was erected as the gift of Sir Henry Tate, on the site of Thomas Hardwick's Millbank Penitentiary.

Listing NGR: TQ3007178570

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30071 78570

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:13:25.