List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1222765

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityBurgh Le Marsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 418080

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURGH LE MARSH HIGH STREET TF 56 NW (east side) 2/12 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 3.2.67

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1500, 1702, late C18, restored c.1871. Limestone ashlar, greenstone rubble and some red brick. Lead and slate roofs with stone coped gables and eastern gable cross finial. 4 stage ashlar west tower with richly moulded plinth and multi-staged angle buttresses. Pointed west doorway with richly moulded continuous bowtell surround, hood mould and C19 traceried doors. Large pointed window above with 4 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould running into string course at each side. Small projecting gargoyle to right. Ornate niche above window with crocketed and finialed ogee canopy and small C20 statue. Moulded string course above with pointed window above that with 2 ogee headed cusped lights, mouchettes, bowtell moulded surround and hood mould. North side with clock in ornate painted surround. Tall bell chamber with openings in all 4 sides, each with paired pointed openings with bowtell surrounds, 2 pointed lights divided by transoms, panel tracery and hood moulds. Finial rises from between bell openings to moulded eaves with small sculptural motifs, projecting corner gargoyles, quatrefoil frieze and battlements with small finials. North aisle of greenstone patched with C18 brick. West end with flattened pointed window, bowtell surround and 3 pointed lights. North side proper with moulded string course running below a rectangular window with 3 cupsed ogee lights, roundels with panel tracery and hood mould. Gabled porch to left with C18 buttresses. Pointed, plain doorway with panelled doors. Inner flanking benches and doorway with pointd head, continuous moulded surround and C18 recessed panelled doors with ornate interior hinges. Broken string course runs to left of porch with 2 C19 windows each with a flattened pointed head, 3 pointed cupsed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Rectangular window to left with 3 semi-circular headed lights with 3 plain ogee heads rising above, and hood mould. Clerestory with drainheads of 1762. 4 pairs of windows plus single window to east, all pointed with 3 lights, that in the centre with cusped rectangular head, those flanking, pointed. Moulded eaves and battlements. East gable end of nave with squat gargoyle supporting central finial, crocketed frieze and corner pinnacles. C19 organ chamber re- using C16 fabric. Plinth. C16 north window with semi-circular head, 3 semi-circular headed lights, cusped reticulated tracery and broken hood mould. East side plain. C19 chancel with shallow chamfered plinth and moulded sill band. Triangular headed north window with 2 ogee headed cusped lights. Rainwater head dated 1871. East end with large pointed window with 3 cusped lights with semi-circular heads flanking central ogee head, C19 panel-type tracery and hood mould. South side with central doorway with continuous moulded surround, semi-circular head and panelled door. 3 windows above; 2 two light windows flank central 3 light window, all with triangular heads, cusped ogee lights and hood moulds. East end of C16 south aisle with plinth and window with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround, 3 semi-circular headed lights, panel tracery somewhat askew and sill band. South side with 3 similar windows, but C19 replacements and all with hood moulds and C16 head label stops. Gabled porch of 1702 to left with greenstone return walls containing shallow pointed light to east and red brick south front with blocked semi-circular headed doorway with moulded brick imposts, with moulded string courses and dutch gable above, including sundial and plaque inscribed: "WD HB CWA NO 1702". Masking wall to left hiding fuel tank. C19 rectangular window beyond, with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery contaning roundels and hood mould. West end with pointed window restored in C19, with 2 semi-circular cusped lights, complex Y tracery above, hood mould and head label stops. Clerestory with 5 pairs of pointed windows of identical design to those on north side. Rainwater heads of 1727 and 1726, the former including winged cherubs. Very tall interior tower arch with pointed, double chamfered head, polygonal responds on high plinths and with moulded capitals. C19 screen set under, incorporating some C16 fabric. 5 bay north and south arcades including single lower, smaller east bay on each side. All with pointed, double bowtell moulded heads, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. Central bay spandrels of south arcade with small fragments of fresco. Doorway in west end giving access to blocked staircase leading originally to upper sections of tower. South doorway with chamfered segmental head. East end of south aisle with small aumbry and C19 screens in C17 style with fluted columns, fret- work bands and pendant finials. Chancel arch with C16 double chamfered, pointed head and C19 polygonal responds and screen, the latter topped with highly painted C20 figures. C19 north organ chamber with pointed, double chamfered head and polygonal responds. C19 roof over chancel. C16 tie beam roof with straight braces and small rectangular plaques, over nave. Pulpit inscribed '1623 John Hovlden' on book rest and flanked by naked male figures wearing ruffs and ionic capital headresses. Slender coved stalk supports ornate hexagonal pulpit to which 4 shallow steps give access, back panel and hexagonal sounding board; the whole highly ornate with fluted ionic columns, blind arches with foliate motifs, fretwork bands, leering masks, coat of arms and pendant finials. C19 octagonal font with ornate octagonal font cover of c.1623, openwork with paired fluted columns, semi- circular headed archways, foliate and fretwork ornament; 4 sides to west are hinged and open up for baptisms; obelisks above and eagle with (possibly) inkhorn and sandbox in beak. Large wooden eagle lectern of 1874, by Jabez Good, local barber and signpainter. C19 alabaster lifesize statue of St. Peter. Copy of Corregio's Virgin and Child by G. R. Gentina. C18 chest. Broken drum font and C19 stoup by north door. Paintings of St. Peter and St. Paul, and hatchment inside tower. Monuments include one to Charlotte and Mary Cooke, died 1812, in white and grey marble; brass plaque to Leonard Palma, died 1610. White marble monument with pediment and torches to the Rev. William Barnes, died 1838; 2 white marble monuments with urns and palms on black marble fields to the William Cookes, died 1831 and 1844, both by E. Gaffin; and a white and grey monument to John Fuler, died 1804.

Listing NGR: TF5008265010

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 50083 65010

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:13:37.