List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WILLOT HALL

List entry Number: 1221901

Location

WILLOT HALL, WILMSLOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityPrestbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 413844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 88 SE PRESTBURY C.P. WILMSLOW ROAD (South Side)

2/223 Willot Hall

25/7/1952

GV II*

Formerly hall, then farmhouse, now house: later C15 with rewalling in stone C17 and repairs and additions in brick late C17. Major restoration and extension of solar dated 1939. Partly in coursed squared buff sandstone rubble, partly in English garden wall bond orange brick. Kerridge stone slate roof, stone ridge and 3 lateral chimneys. Originally rectangular in plan 2½ storey, 4-bay front to pre-1939 portion. Right 3 bays divided by buttresses have C20 3 and 4-light stone mullioned windows with hard moulds and C20 timber framed dormers with 3-light windows. To left solar is brick on rubble plinth. Plinth has 2 rubble hood moulds. Brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor. C20 chamfered stone doorcase contains moved original studded 5-board door with a 4-light C20 mullioned window to left. Above is a tall 4-light stone mullioned window with a pair of segmental brick heads above and a similar 3-light with painted leaded glazing in the stone-coped and ball finialled gable. To left are additions in style. Added to rear of hall is range in brick with tall stone mullioned windows, brick bands and lateral chimneys. Interior: Plan of hall, solar, screens passage and service rooms survives with some alterations, the hall having been re-opened to the roof. The spere truss and parts of the other trusses survive. These have arch-braced cambered tiebeams which carry a braced crown post which braces the collar purlin only. All the rafters are C20 replacements. The screen is timber framed with 3 rebated doorways and wattle and daub infill. A gallery has been created above with Jacobean panelling and all this feature may be reconstructed or moved. A door of 2 large and 2 small central panels all with raised fields, opens from the end of the screen's passage into an added kitchen with a large brick fireplace with timber fire beam and chamfered ceiling beams. A similar door opens into a pantry, and both rooms have diamond-shaped stone flag floors. The original hall may have been timber-framed for an arch braced length of wall plate survives in the hall.

Listing NGR: SJ8881780287

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 88817 80287

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 06:35:16.