List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL IN ST PETER'S CHURCHYARD

List entry Number: 1221896

Location

CHAPEL IN ST PETER'S CHURCHYARD, THE VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityPrestbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 413839

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 97 NW PRESTBURY C.P. THE VILLAGE (East Side)

6/219 Chapel in St.Peter's Churchyard

14/4/1967 GV II Chapel: c.1150 but rebuilt and restored 1747 for Sir William Meredith. Ashlar buff sandstone with Kerridge stone-slate roof. Simple 2-bay nave and lower 1-bay chancel. West doorway is surviving C12 work. Pair of columns with scrolled capitals have 3 semi-circular arches with raised heads, zig zags and pellets respectively. Tympanum has figure of Christ in Majesty (now badly worn) above a pair of studded oak doors. Above the corbel table are 7 now defaced figures, said to represent the Trinity, St.Peter, Richard I and figures of church and state. A plaque in a rusticated surround records in Latin the restoration. "SACELLUM HOC ANTIQUISSIMUM UT PERHIBETUR HVIUS PAROCHIAE ORATORIUM VETUSTATE RUINOSUM UNA IAM PRIDEM PARTE COLLAPSA OMNI FERE ALTERA COLLAPASCENTE NE PRISCAE PIETATIS VENERABILE MONUMENTUM FUNDITUS CORRUERIT SUMPTIBUS SUIS RESTITUIT G.M.B. AD MDCCXLVII". There is an elliptical light in the gable. A simple plinth goes around the chapel and there are 2 round headed lights in the nave and one in the chancel. East window is a circular light. Interior: Windows are in slight embrasures. Rebated semi-circular chancel arch over 3 steps to raised chancel. Altar table in semi-circular headed recess. 3 further plaques in Latin in the chancel and one over nave door refer to the reconstruction.

Listing NGR: SJ9008476899

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 90084 76899

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 10:50:57.