List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD STABLES

List entry Number: 1221845

Location

THE OLD STABLES, BLUECOAT YARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWare

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 412284

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARE TOWN

TL3514SE BLUECOAT YARD 829-1/9/44 (West side) 14/03/74 The Old Stables

GV II*

Upper hall, now house, reputedly used as stables and hayloft for Ware Manor, and subsequently converted to a chapel, post 1685. Late C15, with right hand bay C16, a structure shared with No.1 Bluecoat Yard (qv). Restored 1977. Timber-framed, plastered, pebbledashed and colourwashed, old tiled roof above smooth plastered coved eaves cornice, with one gabled tiled casement dormer. 2 bay upper hall house, originally jettied over ground floor, with external entry and stair on right, now enclosed within C16 structure. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. First floor has C20 glazing over 4-light mullioned windows with pointed arched heads, at left, and one flush casement window with glazing bars at right. Ground floor has projecting C18 lean-to at left with 2 casement windows, and main facade has late C20 front door with weatherboard head, between 2 flush casement windows with glazing bars. INTERIOR has remains of bressumer to jetty with mortices for studs and mullioned windows, moved forward in C17 underbuilding to form a vertical front. First floor has Tudor-arched door head leading to 2 bay hall, with unmoulded crown post roof, exposed in attic above. Right hand bay beyond hall appears to be C16 and runs into No.1. HISTORICAL NOTE: the original use of the building is unclear, and its reported use as stables and hayloft dates from the decline of Ware Manor during the C17. The Bluecoat Yard buildings were acquired by Christ's Hospital in 1685, and remained in use by the Bluecoat School until 1761. The old stables was shown on a survey of Bluecoat Yard dated 1685. Following the move of the school, the building was used for a variety of purposes, reverting to stables in mid C19. It was converted to residential use in 1977. (Ware Tithe Map: 1845-; Ware 25" to 1 Mile - OS Map: 1851-; The Victoria History of the County of Hertford: London: 1912-: 381; Christ's Hospital Archives Map: 1685-; Christ's Hospital Archives, Building Accounts: 1680-1697; East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions 1932-33: Lee WH: The Old Blue-coat School Ware: Hertford: 1934-: 333-7; Rowe V Dr: The Bluecoat Children in Ware 1564-1761: Ware Society: 1983-; Bluecoat Yard Residents Association: More about Place House and Bluecoat Yard: Ware: 1988-).

Listing NGR: TL3590414333

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: More about Place House and Bluecoat Yard - Date: 1988
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Lee, W H - Title: The Old Bluecoat School Ware - Date: 1934 - Page References: 333-7
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society - Date: 1932 - Journal Title: Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society
  4. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society - Date: 1933 - Journal Title: Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society
  5. Article  Reference - Title: Ware Society Newsletter - Date: 1983 - Journal Title: Ware Society Newsletter
  6. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 381

National Grid Reference: TL 35904 14333

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 09:03:46.