List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1220865

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, HYDES LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityCold Ashton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 394541

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 77 SW and COLD ASHTON C.P. HYDES LANE (north side) ST 77 SE The Manor House 8/26 and 9/26 17.9.52 I G.V.

House. Thought to have been built for William Pepwall, Mayor of Bristol c.1570-5, more likely to have been built for John Gunning c.1629, restored by Lieut. Col. Cooper, 1923, with later alterations. Rubble, rendered, stone dressings and prominent quoins, stone slate roof with raised coped verges and ball finials to gables, clustered diagonal ridge stacks. U-plan formed by 2 gabled wings with recessed centre. 3 storeys, gable at each side of wings, rising to ridge height and similar central gable in main block, 1:3:1 windows; each wing has canted bay at front through 2 storeys, 5-light window with ovolo mullions at ground floor, all windows with early C20 leaded lights, similar window at first floor, hipped roof to bay, 2nd floor has 2-light casement with ovolo mullions and hood mould; plinth, string course above ground and first floor windows, stone gutters, all carried round central block and side elevations. Inner sides of wings each have 3-light casement at ground and first floor, as on front, smaller at first floor, and similar 2-light casement in gable. Central block has 2 large oval windows with bolection-moulded surround in rectangular architrave at ground floor, string course carried over heads; central bay broken forward has porch with plain pilasters with Roman Doric capitals rising from plinths with diamond mouldings, cornice, triglyph and rosette frieze, upper cornice, all broken forward over pilasters, pediment with blank shield in bolection-moulded recessed panel in tympanum, moulded jambs and impost blocks, scrolled keystone, porch has stone benches to sides and carved panelled door with fan carving in upper section; first floor has 2 similar 2-light casements and central 3-light casement, balustrade with Ionic capital over each baluster, 2nd floor has gable set back behind balustrade with similar 2-light casement with dripstone. Left return has canted bay to left through 2 storeys as on front, ground floor right 3-light casement with ovolo mullions, string course above windows, first floor right blocked 3-light similar window, similar string course, 2 gables rising to ridge height each with similar 2-light casement and hood mould, central pair of diagonal stacks rising from roof slope. Right return has two 2-light casements in gables, each left side blocked for flue, first floor right has 3-light casement, single storey C20 addition in similar style with door and windows, string courses as at left return, each gable has single diagonal stack with paired central stack. Rear has 3 gables rising to ridge height and 5 windows, ground floor has two 3- light casements and 2 inner 2-light casements, central embattled porch with round- headed opening, impost blocks and scrolled keystone, bolection moulded surround to C20 double door; first floor has central and outer 3-light casements, and two 2-light casements, 2-light casement in each gable with hood mould, string course above ground and first floor windows, stone gutters with C20 decorative lead flashings. Interior- central passage has original richly carved doors and screens, open to left to the hall, hall has bead and reel cornice to jambs of arches, dentils and egg and dart carving at top; front right room (west) has plaster strapwork ceiling with putti, 4-centred arched stone fireplace with moulded surround and mantel, panelled cupboard; front left room has similar fireplace, completely panelled, plaster ceiling with frieze and decorative fruit at corners, dentil cornice to panelling, carved panels and balusters over mantel; kitchen (to rear left) has 4-centred arched internal window with shutter, heavy moulded and stopped beam, large fireplace with heavy chamfered timber lintel, panelled cupboards, one with butterfly hinges. Dog-leg stair with closed string, turned balusters and grip handrail; at first floor, room to west also completely panelled, upper row of panels with carved diamonds and fluted pilasters between each, Tudor-arched fireplace with painted fireback, fluted wooden Ionic pilasters to each side, more elaborate plaster ceiling than at ground floor, fluted Ionic pilasters to each side of windows, this room formerly solar (above hall), former gallery now floored in; both rooms in front wings have fireplaces as at ground floor; all doors at first floor panelled with raised fillets in bolection- moulded frames. Stair to attic has larger turned balusters at landing level, 2 rooms to east have stone fireplaces, smaller than at lower level, one plank and batten door remaining with decorative strap hinges, roof construction not visible. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The Cotswolds. 1970. Country Life, February 14th, 1925, p.240).

Listing NGR: ST7500472638

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in 14 February, (1925), 240

National Grid Reference: ST 75004 72638

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:20:45.