List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARMHOUSE AT BLOUNTS FARM

List entry Number: 1220692

Location

FARMHOUSE AT BLOUNTS FARM, TRIMMERS GREEN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHigh Wych

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Apr-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 394416

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 41 NE HIGH WYCH TRIMMERS GREEN ROAD (south side) Allen's Green

4/27 Farmhouse at Blounts Farm (formerly listed as Blounts 22.2.67 Farmhouse)

GV II*

House. C15 or early C16. Long side-jettied farmhouse facing N with exposed timbers on that side, panelled pargetting elsewhere and old red tile gabled roofs. Manor house of the medieval manor of Blunts which had passed to the Leventhorpe family by 1511 (VCH III (1912) 342-3). Lower cross wing at W of 2 storeys and attics with stair tower in angle at rear and one and a half storeys SW extension in line enclosing large external gable chimney to cross wing. Foundations of E cross wing said to have been found in garden. High black plinth. N front with jettied 1st floor overhang has exposed close-studding heavy bull-nosed joist ends, and heavier beam ends on curved knee brackets defining 4 unequal bays. Heavy plank door now central may have been repositioned when very large C16/17 central red brick chimney built in middle of range. E flue added later. 2- and 3-light casement windows with leaded lights but original 4-light oak diamond mullioned window survives on 1st floor in 2nd bay from E. Unusual clasped purlin roof of W cross wing with collar and purlins set very near apex. W face has flatter roof pitch and bellcast at eaves.

Listing NGR: TL4572317946

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 342-3

National Grid Reference: TL 45723 17946

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:46:10.