List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1220393

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, LIVERPOOL ROAD NORTH
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireWest LancashireDistrict AuthorityBurscough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386251

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURSCOUGH

SD41SW LIVERPOOL ROAD NORTH 663-1/2/7 (East side) 11/08/72 Church of St John

II*

Church. 1829-32, by Daniel Stewart, for Church Commissioners; altered internally 1857; restored and chancel added 1887-9 by Waddington & Sons of Burnley; vestry added in C20. Sandstone ashlar, slate roof. Gothick style. Nave with added chancel and vestry added to south side of this. The gabled 3-bay west facade has 4 polygonal buttresses finished as embattled turrets, and a square bellcote on the apex with gableted sides and an ogival top with a crocketted pinnacle; a 2-centred arched west doorway with 2 orders of moulding, double doors with Gothick tracery, and a hoodmould with carved stops; a blind 3-light window above the doorway and tall 2-light blind windows in the outer bays. The 5-bay side walls have buttresses and tall 2-centred arched 2-light windows with deeply splayed reveals, tracery in the heads, hoodmoulds, and C20 glazing. The chancel has corner turrets, coupled 2-light windows in the sides and a 5-light east window. INTERIOR not inspected, but contains 3-sided galleries (inserted in 1857).

Listing NGR: SD4449912328

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 44499 12328

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:33:55.