List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1218851

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETER'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389342

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3386 ST PETER'S ROAD, Rock Ferry 789-1/12/275 (East side) 28/03/74 Church of St Peter

II

Parish Church. 1841. By Hurst and Moffat, partly remodelled in 1884 and again following extensive damage in World War II. Loose Neo-Norman style. Coursed and squared sandstone with slate roofs. West tower and spire, nave and chancel with vestry and side-chapels projecting to north and south. 3-stage west tower with clasping buttresses and West door with triple recessed shafts. Paired round-arched lights in single segmental arch above, and triple bell-chamber lights in upper stage. Heavy winged beast corbels at angles of cornice. Broach spire with lucarnes. Nave of 6 bays divided by square pilaster buttresses with fluted finials. Round-arched windows with recessed shafts and outer hood moulds. Half-bay to west with doorway clasped between buttresses with small window over. Upper sections of nave walls rebuilt following damage in war. Chancel added c1884 in a gothic style: 2-light Decorated windows to north and south, and stepped Early English 3-light east window, all with contrasting white stone dressings. North chapel/organ chamber part of the original build, vestry to south a later addition, but both in a Neo-Norman style. Interior extensively re-furbished after war damage. Single span with new roof covering remains of original corbels. Simple moulded chancel arch. Octagonal panelled font of 1853. Choir stalls and wall panelling in chancel dated 1884 and 1923. Stained glass figures of saints in east window probably c1950. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3343486303

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 33434 86303

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 05:33:48.