List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1218757

Location

REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, PRIORY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389302

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3288NE PRIORY STREET 789-1/14/141 (East side) 29/07/50 Remains of Church of St Mary (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET Church of St Mary)

GV II

Remains of Church of St Mary. 1821. By Thomas Rickman, partly demolished in 1975. Finely coursed and squared sandstone facing over brick. Originally the church consisted of a W tower, 5-bay aiseless nave, polygonal sanctuary and very large transepts (added 1832-5); of this the W tower and part of the nave and transepts survive. West tower with two flanking porches, and a length of south wall are all that survive. Two stage tower with foiled lancet windows in first stage with clock over, and moulded arched doors in crocketted expressed gabled hoodmould in south porch. Plain moulded doorway in north porch. 2-light belfry openings in second stage. Embattled parapet and recessed spire with lucarnes. 3 bays of south wall, divided by buttresses with pinnacles, and 2- and 3-light windows with cast-iron tracery. Embattled parapet. The church was built to serve the expanding new town of Birkenhead, but became redundant in 1975, when the rest of the structure was demolished. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3284488554

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 32844 88554

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 08:07:00.