List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BISHOP ETON MONASTERY

List entry Number: 1218726

Location

BISHOP ETON MONASTERY, WOOLTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359770

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 4088 WOOLTON ROAD L16

35/1389 Bishop Eton 12.7.66 Monastery

G.V. II*

Monastery with attached chapel. Monastery, 1858, Edward Welby Pugin with extensions of 1889. Chapel begun 1851, Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, completed, 1858, Edward Welby Pugin. Monastery of brick with stone dressings, slate mansard roof probably later. Original part of 2 storeys with attic and 9 bays, central 5 bays break forward. Band between floors and sill bands. Windows have wedge lintels and are sashed with glazing bars. Extension to right of 4 bays, 3 storeys, recessed end 2 bays of 2 storeys. Windows of 2 and 3 segmental-headed lights. 1st bay projects and forms base to tower. Weathering flanked by buttresses above the 2nd floor, then clock face in square stone surround with canopy and swept pyramidal roof with louvred bell stage. Chapel has nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, no clerestory, chancel is with transepts, that to north a chapel, and canted end. West window of 5 lights with Decorated tracery; flanking buttresses, that to south has canted inner angle for stair turret, 2-light segmental pointed windows to ends of aisle. West entrance of one over. Aisles have 2 segmental-headed 3-light windows, the western bays are gabled with hexagonal slates to roof and pointed 2-light windows. North transept has 3-light north window and east rose window. Chancel has 5 cusped lights. Interior of chapel: 3-bay nave arcade on round columns with good carved capitals; hoodmould with stops in form of evangelists' symbols. Waggon roof on angel corbels. Aisle windows in recesses, those to south with confessionals. Chancel and chapel have stencilled panelling; arch between them. On south side of chancel 3 segmental pointed openings, the central one on entrance to monks' seating area; 3-bay triforium of 2-light pointed openings, now glazed. Elaborate reredos and alters, that to chancel brought forward. Chapel has silver sanctuary lamps in form of ships. C19 stained glass, some by Hardman, west window by Kempe.

Listing NGR: SJ4056288392

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 40562 88392

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:28:15.